1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tinting in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by politemusic, Jun 4, 2007.

1. politemusic

politemusic New Member

Just got my new Magnetic Gray 2007 Prius package #2 two weeks ago, and it's starting to get hot! I really want to get a nice tint job on the car.

Can someone recommend an installer in my area, or a good mobile installer? I live in Glassell Park, which is near Glendale, Echo Park, and Silverlake. I'd like to get someone to do this who is a real pro, and who works with some quality tint such as Formula One, or another high-end ceramic film.

Best,
    Justin

2. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(politemusic @ Jun 4 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]455376[/snapback]</div>
    he bro, not in Glendale here but just had mine done at Thousand Oaks, they did a good job, any idea if front tint (lightly) is legal, they told me any tint on the front was illegal, but I don't believe them. I see people everywhere with front tint. let me know what you find out.

PS: any prius clubs in Los Angeles, ??? would be fun to start one, no?

3. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJGreen @ Jun 4 2007, 10:55 PM) [snapback]455428[/snapback]</div>
    Where in T/O ?
    Thanx,
    Carl

4. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malibucarl @ Jun 4 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]455436[/snapback]</div>
    it was a place referred by the toyota dealership in TO. the met me at the dealership so I don't even know the company name, but they did a good job, TO Toyota would know the name and could refer you i'm sure.

5. pixeltaker

pixeltaker Junior Member

Justin,

I just got my new Magnetic Gray Prius done at SoCal Pro Tint in Cerritos (605 @ the 91). It looks awesome. Solid job by the crew there. It takes about 3 hours, but they'll drop you off at the Cerritos mall to wait it out. $249 for all windows expect windshield and the little skinny bottom one on the back (it's already tinted).

I got a dark tint for the rear windows and went with light for the front.

Call or email to schedule an appointment.

http://socalprotint.com/
    562-924-6070

6. politemusic

politemusic New Member

Thanks, all.

I appreciate the referrals; unfortunately, getting out to Thousand Oaks or down to Cerritos is pretty unlikely for me with a crazy workday and family obligations. I really need something around my neck of the woods. I think I'll start hitting the yellow pages or Craigslist for some ideas around here; especially if someone is mobile that uses great film and seems on top of it.

Best,
    Justin

7. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(politemusic @ Jun 5 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]455676[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Justin,
    If you locate a GOOD mobile tint firm please let me know. [email protected].
    Thanx,
    Carl

8. norton

norton New Member

Hi Justin,

I'm looking for this same service and I live in South Pas. Maybe we could find someone to come out and do both of ours.
    I used these guys for some of the windows on my house:

http://www.v-kool-usa.com/index1.htm

They were great. Reasonably priced, high quality material and professional/friendly. Unfortunately, I'm striking out getting ahold of the people I dealt with 4 years ago so far. I'd love to have someone come to me for this, so I'll keep trying.

9. politemusic

politemusic New Member

Well, I just said f*&% it, and looked on Craigslist. Called a few, found this one:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/aos/341999134.html

The guy's name is Mike who answers the messages, and I got a good vibe from him. It's a mobile detailing firm called LA Window Tint. He said that none of his installers have less than 8 years of experience, most have well over 10. He works with high-end ceramic tints, and quoted me around $235 for lifetime warranty ceramic-based film for all the Prius windows except the windshield. He's coming tomorrow morning, and as soon as it's done, I'll let you know how it goes!

Best,
    Justin

10. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

I'm in LA - I used Longo Toyota (right off the 10 and near the 605) for both my Prius and Lexus sedan....no complaints. I'm sure there was at least some cost premium for using the dealer. Call and ask for the tint guy and they can give you a quote.

11. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    so I'm guessing no one is interested in starting a prius gathering here in Los angeles, I'm told nobody here digs that,

12. politemusic

politemusic New Member

No way, dude! I'm DOWN with that. If there was a gathering set up, I'd go in a heartbeat, schedule permitting. That would be super fun. Maybe you should get a sign-up thread going or something? If I didn't work 72 hours a week, I'd offer to help organize, but I'm slammed. But I'll certainly participate, as would others, I'm sure!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJGreen @ Jun 5 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]456309[/snapback]</div>

13. vanessab223

vanessab223 New Member

Oh yeah... let me know also! I know of a place in Montrose - but friends used them for other cars years ago. I'm not sure if it is owned by the same people - ya know?

14. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(politemusic @ Jun 4 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]455376[/snapback]</div>

OK, well I will start a thread and I hope you'll all respond, Let's say I'll start it next week since i am currently out of town on business, I will call the thread, LOS ANGELES PRIUS GATHERING, or something like that, if you have any ideas on days, locations, etc, let me know.

15. kosmikpanda

kosmikpanda New Member

Also live in the LA area here. Thought I should chime in that yes, tinting the front is indeed illegal in Los Angeles. I got the ticket to prove it too... Though I think most of the time the CHP/local police dont bother with it.

16. politemusic

politemusic New Member

Well, I got my windows tinted. Can't say I'd recommend the company I used, since they got a litte too agressive with their heat guns on the passenger side B-pillar trim, now there's a couple of small shiny spots on there. The tint is pretty good - some small (like a millimeter across) bubbles that they say will come out with more exposure to heat and sun. But otherwise I'm not going to recommend who I hired (they were from Craigslist), though they are being responsible and reimbursing me for new pieces of window trim. It sure looks good, though...and I love the Johnson Greystone tint they use - the color is perfect for my car, and the inside is staying REALLY cool. Click on my name to look at my profile and you'll see a pic.

Best,
    Justin

17. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(politemusic @ Jun 5 2007, 10:38 PM) [snapback]456354[/snapback]</div>

OK guys, so I'm back in town from CO and I promised I'd start a thread, I will look to see if one is posted, If i don't see it i will start it under " Los Angeles Prius Gathering"