1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tinting the un-tintable... Need assistance / advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fruzzetti, Oct 17, 2008.

1. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone... First off, you know I'm kinda insane about modding my car in as many big and little ways as I can, so you know this question is not just little kid BS...

1) I seek to tint the windshield, but to lose as little light pass-through as possible. Do you know whether anyone anywhere will do the windshield for me? If I have to take the car somewhere that it's legal, or temporarily register it as non-operating, it's something I'd consider so that applying the tint could be legal.

2) I seek to tint the headlights. I have seen the headlight tint but I understand it loses a lot of your light and I don't want to do that. I'd rather get a brighter set of bulbs in there and then tint those back down to the original brightness. Ideas?

3) I need to do the same for the taillights...

4) I want to remove all the emblems except the round Toyota logos front and back, however I worry that it will really show on the paint. Do you think the heat gun method will work on a 2006 car built in late 2005? If it will, how bad will the silhouettes be from the sun not ever striking those parts of the body?

5) Has anyone thought about removing the side view mirrors entirely by substituting a camera system in its place? If you've ever seen such a thing done (a la Vector) as a modification to any car, could you show me so I can draw inspiration? I'm still thinking about whether to do this or to just get the auto-folding-with-indicator mirrors (Mercedes Benz style).

Any other inspiration would be really great.

also, has anyone ever managed to find themselves a place that can laminate glass to match the roofline? I still want a specially made sunroof.

~ dan ~

2. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Per home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/, 17 states, including California, allow no form of tint on windshields. Only Indiana allows any tint, but a law is in the hopper to change that. Other states allow about 4-6 inches of tint at the top of the windshield.

I searched several sites for good information on headlight tints, didn't find anything comprehensive or useful. But here's a bit from a discussion of California law:

Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.

Maybe that will help

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Some of us used http://www.jonstintedtails.com/ to have our tail lights tinted. He can also tint the headlights too if you really want him to. Check with your state's regulations first though.

I simply painted all the Toyota emblems that I couldn't remove, using factory paint that can be bought at the dealership parts store.

As for removing the sideview mirrors, I don't think that's legal anywhere, even if you replace them with monitors, because if the monitors malfunction you still need mirrors.

Galaxee was able to get the windshield tinted, but it required some sort of paperwork from her optometrist or something like that.

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    do you have some kind of sadistic, evil, or otherwise disturbed reason to rush out and get your car impounded or what?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm pretty light sensitive- i have a rx for windshield tint and got it done at 45% VLT. my tint guy wouldn't do it until i had the paperwork. not that anyone's pulled me over for having the windshield tinted since the job was done last year.

it's almost universally illegal to tint headlights. but state law where i'm from just requires a certain distance visibility of the tail and brake lights. we played with the idea. you'd have to look up your local laws.

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the support / advice. I guess I wasn't clear enough on the fact that I know everything about the laws here.

I am not supposed to have 15% on all side windows, and I've been ticketed for it once. I paid it. It's an "equipment citation" so there's no cumulative increase in punishment; that said, being pulled over for it is much more like a "tint tax" than anything else. I'm happy to pay it because I make a California income.

In California, windshields are allowed to have a strip along the top. I don't care about that law and seek to do the whole piece of glass just a little. I'd love to know how to be "light sensitive." But I think 45% would be too dark for me. I might go 70% although at the same time, if the whole car were darkened the eyes would adjust to it better...

Also, in California you're not supposed to cover your headlights, period. But again, so what? If you brighten up the bulb first so when you tint it you get the same brightness when the light is on, then you have a great looking darkened out bulb area when the lights are off and a workable headlight when the lights are on!

:D

~ dan ~

gotta find a way!

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i know you probably didn't mean it that way, but you don't want to experience pain and suffering upon walking into bright sunlight. i would also consider darkness of tint and night driving.

9. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    who said anything about taking off my sunglasses, ever? or weirder yet, how about "oh, it's time to get out of the car; i'd better put on my shades?"

But seriously, the difficulty with tint all the way around is the difference between an un-tinted windshield and a tinted side window. If the windshield were tinted a bit, I'd have an easier time because my eyes would adjust to the consistent, even lighting in the car.

~ dan ~

10. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    California... they just don't get it.

11. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can't answer all your questions, but have done SOME of the things you mention.

All the badges and emblems come off. I used a little heat and my finger nails to get them started. You might have to use something like an ice cream bar stick whittled into a wedge if your nails aren't strong. You just don't want to scratch the paint.

Some compound and polish should remove any evidence that the badge was there. My car was new, so there was zero fading. The front and rear emblems have pins that fit into little holes in the metal, as do the side hybrid badges. All the rest don't and leave no holes. I had success painting the emblems with plastic paint made by Krylon. Rust Oleum makes some, too. (Probably much less expensive than what a dealer might charge.) You do have to follow the instructions about dry times and re-coating since ignoring them results in a crinkled finish. In fact, I would recommend extending the dry time between coats. After a week, I was able to polish the paint and it held up very well.

At first I used a dark vinyl to cover the front turn signals only. I have since lightened the tint for safety reasons.

Edit: 3M makes an excellent general purpose adhesive cleaner which will remove any residue left after pulling off the badges and emblems. (It is expensive, but will save time if that is a concern.) Also, you will need a double-sided tape available at an auto paint store to replace the painted emblems.

As to the front windsheild, you'll probably need a friendly opthalmologist to verify that you have light-sensitive eyes and issue an Rx for you. :)

Attached Files: