1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips for a new driver and Prius owner?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Halfswift, Jun 29, 2024 at 5:04 AM.

Tags:
  1. Halfswift

Halfswift New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Hey, recently got my licence and bought a used Prius 2017. So far I am very happy with it, it driver smoothly and it has a very solid set of features. I live fairly rurally in Norway, so the roads I drive on are varied and hilly, but I've managed to keep the gas usage at ~4.0L/100km (~58mpg) so far.
    I have the "Executive" trim version, I don't quite know all which this trim features. I have tried searching online but I can only find information about US/UK trims. Anyways, it has cloth seats, JBL speakers, black cup holders in the middle, and the bundle of Toyota safety features.

I was wondering if there are any tips about the vehicle I should know of, tips for driving, maintenence, functions, etc. Thanks!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    looks like you're doing fine on the driving and gas mileage.
    does it have a block heater for winter?
    how many miles on her?
    follow the toyota maintenance schedule and you'll be fine.
    one item to watch out for is a leaking exhaust heater exchanger.

2017-prius-losing-engine-coolant-110k-miles.234094

Halfswift likes this.
  3. Halfswift

Halfswift New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I don't know if it has a block heater, reading up on them now I'm guessing they're useful during winter?
    She has 136k km, roughly 85k miles. Followed every service interval. Bought it from a Toyota dealership, included 2 year warranty and 2 years of service, very happy with the deal! :D
    I'll keep an eye out for the leak, thanks! If it were to happen, would any of the warning lights in the dashboard light up?

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, but that will be too late. keep an eye on the coolant level. not all of them have the problem, but there's no way to know.

Halfswift likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi there in Norway, Gen 4 Prius is getting harder to find EU trim details. I've seen a few questions asked about the executive trim, but not many answers.

One of the differences Gen 4 owners usually have a hard time finding, no matter what trim they have is the hybrid battery chemistry, is it NiMH or Lithium Ion. There was a lot of talk about it 5 years ago, but times march on and it's not as big a topic as it used to be.

I searched for clues about the 2017 Prius executive trim, and only found one question about it from another member in Norway in Feb 2917 with no replies. The one member here I'd ask, I hope you don't mind, is @KMO If anyone can track it down.
    I'd imagine the executive trim is similar to the 2017 Prius 4 or Prius 4 Touring with some unique European differences.
    Anyway, here are two links that are a couple years old that might help you, or on the down side could only be more confusing.

Bruktbil til salgs: Toyota Prius - 2016 - Rød - 136 Hk - Kombi 5-dørs | FINN.no

Looking for English Owners Manual for Norwegian Prius | PriusChat

4G Prius Features & Specifications (2016-?) | PriusChat

Visual Tables of Gen4 Package Combinations | PriusChat

Toyota Motor Europe - Wikipedia

#5 vvillovv, Jun 29, 2024 at 6:48 PM
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 7:07 PM
  6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I wasn't paying much attention to the G4, and even then only to the plug-in. I haven't got specific Norway info, but then there aren't major EU-wide differences, apart from the trim names. So I'm not sure which of the 3 "Executive" would be.

I do have a couple of 2017 brochures and manuals showing all 3 trims as NiMH. Maybe they never had Li-ion batteries here, or only in later years. I don't have any later EU info though.

vvillovv likes this.