1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips for Driving on a Dead 12V Starter Battery (Jump Started)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Pri-chan, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Pri-chan

Pri-chan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The 12V battery in my 2015 Prius died over the weekend and I am planning to take it over to a dealer for replacement.

My plan is to have AAA come and jump start the car and then drive the ~5 miles to my nearest dealer. The drive there will have about a dozen or so stoplights. My question is: since the car will stop the ICE at low speeds and when idle, will I encounter problems since the starter battery is dead and therefore unable to restart the ICE when I speed up? If so, how do I mitigate this problem on this short trip?

PS, I've watched the self battery replacement videos online and read all tips on this forum. But honestly, I'm not great with cars and don't have the wrenches to do the install. I'd prefer to have the dealer to do it so its "done right".

#1 Pri-chan, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12V battery is not used to start the car - the high-voltage (hybrid) battery does that. The 12V battery is only used for the onboard computers so you should not have any problem as long as it can hold some sort of charge.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If they have choices, ask that they use a jump start pack.
    They have limited power and usually polarity checking so they cannot reverse the cables.

Their other choice tends to be super sized jumper cables, which, if they are attached wrong even for a moment, can do $4000 of damage. In general they do not do it wrong, but it is painful when they do.

ITBland and Tande like this.
  4. Pri-chan

Pri-chan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank you both!

Also just realized I posted this in the 4Gen section. It should be moved to the 3Gen forum.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe. Probably.

It probably would be better to borrow a battery charger from a friend or neighbor and leave it connected overnight.
    If it won't start and keep running after that, it won't make the trip to the dealer either......probably.

ALSO......AAA offers "battery replacement service" in many areas.
    In the end having them bring a new battery out might not cost any more than one from the dealer.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd clarify that to say that the 12V battery boots up the computer and ignition systems, but not any starter motor. Once those computers give the OK to connect the high voltage battery, the various high voltage systems spin a motor-generator that cranks up the gasoline engine.
    Once the car is 'Ready', the computers are all powered via a high voltage -> 12V inverter, so the 12V battery doesn't even need to remain present.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BUT once the AGM battery gets so low it needs jump starting, it has generally been damaged by the low charge level and needs to be replaced for dependability.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just don't turn off the car and you'll be fine. The 12 volt battery is just along for the ride once the car is in "ready" mode, engine running or not.

Maybe pick up a jump pack, read up in Owner's Manual how to hook it up. Be careful with hook up though: jump point is in the under-the-hood fuse box, and don't reverse the leads.

ITBland and alanclarkeau like this.
  9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That might be true for (some models) of the Prius but it is NOT true for all cars.
    Some charging systems are designed to detect the absence of a battery and shut down.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course not. The vast majority of cars don't have a high voltage battery and HV->12V inverter at all, nor even a 'Ready' mode. These Prius-specific things are essential to my comment.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not really. How they are engineered is what is important.

The systems in a Prius very well could be programmed to shut down the entire 12 V system if it doesn't detect a working battery being present. Some of the alternator/regulator systems would tend to spike high voltages without a sufficient load (battery). There are various ways to prevent that; one is to kill the alternator output if it occurs.

Since the Prius doesn't do that, lets hope that it's charging system is able to control the voltage without a battery to help filter.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm pretty sure the Prius is fine to drive with a dead-as-a-doornail battery. That was actually the case with our first drive of ours: it had been sitting for 15 months, and the bozos at Open Road Toyota Port Moody had "warmed it up for us" when we arrived for a test drive. It drove fine, we got back, parked and shut it off, went in and closed the deal.

There was some discussion as to how many km's were on the odo, so we went back out to start up just to check, and it was still completely dead, couldn't even boot up the display.

ITBland and fuzzy1 like this.
  13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But being "dead" might be different than being missing.......depending on exactly what fault the battery has.

14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't claim to know the answer but a dead battery is not necessarily a bad battery, but a bad battery that will not charge may be a problem especially if you can't charge it up to a very minimum voltage, whatever that is.
    I am thinking of a dead cell for an example.

15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The AGM batteries used in Gen 2 & Gen 3 Prius cars do not handle deep discharge well.
    Your Gen 4 with a regular lead-acid battery may fare better.

padroo likes this.
  16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And it might not too.

An AGM battery is MUCH less likely to sulfate and that is what kills a battery that is chronically left in a discharged state.

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I left something on that drained the battery down in my 2008 Prius a couple of times but don't remember if it was really dead or just too low to start the car. At that time I dind't have the right battery charger for an AGM battery but it charged it back up and had no problems with it after that. When the battery got old the MFD started acting weird so I just went ahead and replaced the original battery with an Optima Yellow Top. I wasn't in love with Optima and had no opinion one way or the other and it worked until I traded the car in last November. The only reason I installed the Optima was because it was a good deal on eBay. :)

I don't mess around with batteries anymore, my wife gives me too much grief when I do.:whistle:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to just "lets hope" when multiple previous posters have already described their experiences here. Just need to go back to find and re-read them.

And the Prius does not have an alternator at all.

19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A special charger is NOT needed for automotive AGM batteries.

20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I remember one or two of those posts....vaguely.
    I don't remember anybody monitoring the voltage on the 12 V system while the battey was absent though.

I never said that any Prius has/had an alternator, but my wording could have been better.