1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tips for getting rid of 10-yr old Tercel with engine problem

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by eklabbers, Jun 11, 2004.

1. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

While waiting for my new Prius, my 10-yr old Toyota Tercel, which had been working fine up until that point, decided to die on me. It was up for an oil change, but for some reason it was out of oil before I got the chance to Jiffy Lube. The result, an engine transplant is needed. I took it to a garage, who said they could get me a used engine for $850 and $1500 labor. That is more than my car is worth, so I decided to drive my car to work (it still works, although the clunking sounds very ominous), and leave it in the parking lot until I've decided what to do with it. The damage is one or more pistons that are hitting the engine wall, and so driving it, it could seize up any minute.

I was planning to sell the car for about $1500, but of course that's out of the question now. Does anybody have any useful tips? If I donate it to charity will they take it, or do they only take cars that work without problems? If I can still donate, how do I determine how much the car is still worth? Or should I see if there is some school or community college who could use it. I'm in the Portland, OR area if that is any help.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my new Prius (I've already passed the 4 month mark, and have been without a car for over a month now).

Esther

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You might see if there is an auto mechnics tech school in your area that could use a project car.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Donating it could still be a viable option. It may be good for salvage on other parts, or the auto-shop may be an excellent idea.

Your slapping sound may more be a warped crankshaft or camshaft knocking around in the bearings than pistons slapping something. That, or losened connecting rods due to excessive wear. Either way, don't try to redline the engine unless you want to experiment :)

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

You could try to trade it in for the Prius, if they have one of those offers in which they guarantee a minimum value for trade-ins. Otherwise, give it away for free to anyone willingto take it.