1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips for those PIA awful under-panel Plastic "E-Z" rivet thingys?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by The Big Sleaze, Dec 15, 2023.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I consider myself fairly handy, but I can't get the knack for those E-Z pop plastic rivets. Dealer wants $6 apiece, so to replace the ones I break would add about $30 to an ATF change. :(
    I ordered this, coming this after noon. I ordered one for last ATF change but can't find now, but I do remember they were more brittle and didn't seem to work on all holes, but not sure if that was them or me.

GOOACC - GRC-33 240PCS Bumper Retainer Clips Car Plastic Rivets Fasteners Push Retainer Kit Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set -Door Trim Panel Fender Clips for GM Ford Toyota Honda Chrysler

Has anyone figured out a nice work-around for these evil little things? Any kit to retro-fit all holes to same maybe 10mm/philips threaded bolts, with more positive off/on?

IIRC there are even TWO different Plastic rivets on the under-engine panel, in addition to some 10mm threaded bolts. Does anyone have a nice "map" of that. Official Toyota seemed hard to read and just fuzzy enough to be useless. Could anyone tell me which ones go where?

Also just order this, a diff brand of supposedly Toyota rivets.
    Rexka 10pcs Fender Liner Bumper Cover Grille Retainer Clips Compatible with Toyota Lexus 52161-16010 52161-02020

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Amazon has them for way cheaper. It's 50 for $30 Canadian.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think oil change link in my signature has some fastener preservation tips. (On a phone turn it landscape to see signature.)

I’d stick with Toyota fasteners.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    u can either measure one of your good pins, than go to ebay and search for the pins that match your measurements in ads that show detailed specs of the pins dimensions
    or you can get the part # and search using it. But those bundles of 15 20 50 100 pins usually don't also have the specs of the pins for you to compare. 90467-07201