1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips or Tricks? Attempting a Gen II Battery Repair for the First Time

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SeaFoam '06, Jan 8, 2016.

1. SeaFoam '06

SeaFoam '06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TL/DR: I am repairing a Gen II traction battery and am looking for recommendations on what tools/chargers to purchase. I am also looking for any tips or suggestions that may help the process go more smoothly.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Prius Chat, though I've been lurking around occasionally. I own an '01 Prius and an '06 Prius. The '04 traction battery died about a year ago and the '06 just started giving me the error code of death (P0A80) before Christmas. I decided that with two priuses, and several more owned by family/friends, being able to repair a battery would be a very helpful skill, so I will be attempting to rebuild/rebalance my battery pack using the method outlined in this thread:

Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

I've spent about 8 hours reading as many articles on here as I can about battery module replacement (the community here is incredible!), though I admit that I haven't even come close to reading everything this forum has to offer. I have a mechanical engineering degree and a basic knowledge of electronics, so I have high hopes of not frying myself or my traction battery during this project. :)

Which brings me to my request. I am looking to purchase the equipment I'll need to replace the bad cell(s) and rebalance the entire pack. Does anyone have any suggestions for good battery chargers that I can use? I am hoping to spend ~$200-300 on tools/chargers and ~$50-100 on replacement modules. Can anyone comment on the whether or not the grid chargers I see for sale here would be useful in my situation?

Thanks a ton in advance!! This is my first time attempting a project of this size and I am very much looking forward to it. Any help you can give would be appreciated, even if it's just "this thread has some good advice." If anyone would like data on my car, I'd be happy to share it. I have a friend with a techstream cable that came over and scanned my car today, so I was able to pull block voltages and error codes (P0A0F, P3000 and P0A80), but don't want to clutter up this initial post too much.

Best regards,

Seafoam

2. SeaFoam '06

SeaFoam '06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tips. Here is a picture of the Techstream results on the battery voltages: image.jpeg

From this, I suspect that at least one of the modules in battery block 13 is bad. Am I correct in assuming that the grid charger probably will not be able to fix this for me? I would love to not have to have my wife's car down for so long, but I don't see how a charger can fix a bad module.

Thanks again,
    Seafoam

3. SeaFoam '06

SeaFoam '06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I did not. I might be able to try that tomorrow, but the techstream laptop is owned by a friend of mine. I did not know that techstream could take real-time data. It was explained to me as just being able to pull error codes and the information on the car when the code was logged. Is there a thread about the techstream where I could educate myself on it?

The grid charger will be more successful than balancing each individual cell?

What exactly does the grid charger do? Forgive my ignorance, but I can't seem to find a good technical explanation of how it manages to charge/discharge the individual cells. Is there a thread or a link that explains this (again, not trying to be lazy, just haven't been able to find it yet)?

Thanks a ton for your responses Steve. They are much appreciated.

Edit: I just ordered my own MiniVCI. It should arrive on Tuesday, then I'll do the force charge and (hopefully) get the voltages from techstream.

#3 SeaFoam '06, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  4. SeaFoam '06

SeaFoam '06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... good to know, thanks. The grid chargers at HA are looking really tempting. However, part of my reason for wanting to go the DIY method instead of forking $3400 over to the dealer was that I have a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 Prius with bad batteries, my dad has a Gen 3 and my father-in-law has a Prius C (I may have been something of a Prius evangelist up until this point...). My hope was that I would be able to service all of their batteries in the future with the equipment I buy for this repair, but it looks like the grid chargers from HA each only work on one generation of Prius. Are the grid chargers easy to build DIY? I seem to remember you posting an equipment list somewhere, but I don't remember exactly what level of technical knowledge it required. I am assuming that the main difference between the HA chargers for different gen's is that they have different wire harnesses. Would it be possible to convert an HA charger to service any generation of Prius (1st, 2nd or 3rd)?

jeff652 likes this.
  5. SeaFoam '06

SeaFoam '06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Steve. I posted a reply in the HA grid charger thread. Looking forward to setting up the techstream tomorrow evening, though the negative temps here may put a damper on that...

jeff652 likes this.
  6. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The method our customers are using with great success is this: Recondition the entire battery by charging and discharging it three times ( Battery Reconditioning – Hybrid Automotive ). Then load test each module ( Prolong™ Battery Module Load Tester – Hybrid Automotive ). You can use your own load tester or we offer an inexpensive one. If all modules are in a tight voltage range, then likely the reconditioning treatment was enough and the car can be road tested without replacing any modules.

If you road test the car and the red triangle returns, or if a module has a failed cell in it (fails the load test), it will be easy to spot because the voltage drop during the load test will be significantly more than the rest of the modules. Replace the failed module(s) then give the battery another reconditioning treatment to equalize the replacement modules with the rest of the battery pack. That's pretty much it. After treating the pack a second time you are ready to start driving the vehicle again.

After you are back on the road, we recommend performing regular maintenance on the battery to keep it healthy. Recondition the pack 1-2 times per year and charge/balance it once every ~3 months. That will keep it running its best for as long as possible. :)

Totallylost likes this.
  7. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gen I batteries are getting to be almost impossible to rebuild. The ratio of bad to good modules is just too high. New Toyota Gen I batteries can be found at discount for $1850. Action Auto Parts in St Paul has a Gen I pack for $500. It could be almost as bad as what you already have. The Gen I modules can be replaced with used Gen II but you'll end up spending almost as much as a new Toyota battery.

There are cheaper alternatives for discharging and charging. The simplest dischargers are 120 volt light bulbs. For pack level slow charging I have used electrophoresis power supplies. A VWR 570 is one model that works. I am moving away from pack level charging and discharging. There are low voltage options available that make the risk of high voltage work unnecessary.

Here is a quick fix for your 06. Block 13 is the 3rd and 4th module from the computer. Techstream starts the count opposite the battery computer for Gen II. Gen I batteries are counted starting at the battery computer. Pull your broken 04 battery apart. Take the module with the highest resting voltage and install it in place of the failed module in the 06. This will buy you some time to properly measure and recondition the 04 battery. Once the 04 is rebuilt swap it into the 06 and repeat the process. Now for some shouting.

HIGH VOLTAGE IS PRESENT UNTIL ALL THE BUS BARS ARE REMOVED FROM ONE SIDE OF THE BATTERY.
    WHILE REMOVING THE BUS BARS YOU ARE WORKING WITH LIVE HIGH VOLTAGE.

Listen to Steve. He knows what he is talking about. I am in the Twin Cities. Let me know if you need modules.

Brad

Mrs.Diamond and SeaFoam '06 like this.
  8. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I fixed my hybrid battery 6 months ago and still going strong today.

You need following min amount of tools:
    8, 10, 12, 14mm sockets + extension
    trim removal tool
    multimeter
    bluetooth obd2 or MiniVCI

I didn't mess with balancing etc. A lot of people use rc chargers like the iMax B6.

It's important to clean out our hybrid battery fan or you may shorten your battery life come summer as it overheats.

9. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are several ways to recondition a battery, our products are not for everyone. Some people like to pull the battery out of the car, tear it down to the module level, and cycle each module several times over a couple weeks. That's great, and can be one way to go about it. Others prefer a simpler approach, desiring to get the same results in three days with good chance not having to remove the battery from the car at all. Those are the people that our products are designed for. People who value the ease of use and ability to maintain the battery after the initial reconditioning to prevent it from returning to a degraded state.

Our products are even more compelling now that we have reduced our Prolong Battery Charger prices by at least $100 each. We have been working hard behind the scenes to reduce our material & labor costs and are happy to pass these savings along to our customers. Interested parties can see the updated pricing on our website now :)

SeaFoam '06 likes this.
  10. SeaFoam '06

SeaFoam '06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice Brad. Quick question: I was under the impression that one is not supposed to mix Gen I and Gen II battery cells. Am I mistaken on this point?

11. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gen I and Gen II modules should not be mixed. They are slightly different size and the terminals do not line up well. I have seen it done. The much stronger Gen II modules will beat the old Gen I modules to death. You can replace all the Gen I modules with Gen II

12. wddanie

wddanie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seafoam, which approach did you choose to solve your battery failure? I just developed the same problem on my 2005 Prius and am reviewing options.

13. SeaFoam '06

SeaFoam '06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi wddanie,
    Sorry for taking so long to reply to this. I was all set to go the diy method on this when life hit like a ton of bricks and I realized I would not have time to complete the repair in time to get my wife's car up and running again. Fortunately, one of the forum members that lived near me offered to do the work at a very reasonable price. (I will let this person reveal themselves if they want to.) I have been back on the road for about a month now with no problems.

I am currently in the process of diy fixing my gen 1 prius though. After I saw the work being done, I realized that it wouldn't be as hard as I had expected. I'll keep this thread updated to let people know how it goes.

My best advice so far: don't let your car sit for a long period of time, and don't be afraid to dig in and start taking out the back seat of your car. For me, the first step was the hardest.

14. Mrs.Diamond

Mrs.Diamond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Brad rebuilt my 2009 battery and he did an awesome job. It’s running GREAT.

Raytheeagle likes this.