1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips to disable beeps for back-up and front passenger seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Lars, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Lars

Lars New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Please share procedures to disable the back-up beep, as well as the seatbelt warning beep for the front passenger seat (when bag on seat triggers beep).

2. Tracy4Now

Tracy4Now New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As far I can find out, all the step-by-step instructions you will find online apply only to Prius's made prior to the 2010 model and that dealerships are the only ones that can disable the beeps. So far, after calling 20 dealerships all over So Cal, no one will do it. They site safety concerns. I will keep looking....there's got to be someone!

3. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I worked with my dealer's Prius tech and his laptop for a half hour a couple of weeks ago and we both learned how to make the "dealer modifications". This process is brand new to Toyota; be patient and persistent.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, as others have mentioned, you must now go to the dealership to have these settings changed on the 2010... (unfortunately)

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did you refer any of these 20 dealers to the 2010 Prius Owner's Manual? Section 6-2 Customizable Features lists things that "can be personalized to your preferences" by the dealer, page 592 specifically lists the seat belt buzzer and the back up buzzer. That kind of sounds like permission to me?

You might also go back to the dealer where you bought the car and tell them this is something they maybe should have ask if you wanted done done when they prepared the new car for you. You could also take a copy of your states drivers manual and show them there is no law mentioned that says you are required to have a seat belt buzzer, I suspect the law says you must wear a seat belt but it doesn't say you have to buzzed at. As far as I know there is no law whatever in any state about backup beepers in privately owned passenger cars. So maybe if they are telling you it is a safety concern they are just trying to get rid of you?

This is a good topic for me because I really hope I won't have any problem getting these features set the way I want them in my car when it arrives.

1 person likes this.
  6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The shop foreman at my dealer changed the reverse beep, seatbelt, and key fob settings on mine just yesterday in just a few minutes. He hooked a laptop to a port under the dash of the car and called up a menu of settings on the laptop, and had everything set the way I wanted it in less than 10 minutes.

kente46, laplante236 and bobfox like this.
  7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks Jay_man2 and Vincent, I don't think I will have the same problems as Tracy4Now is but if I do I will take a copy of your posts just to show them it can be done.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Vincent, did he have special software to access these features? I guess it would be to much to hope for a DIY version. I also wonder if they will need to be reprogrammed if the 12 Volt battery is disconnected? guess we will find out eventually.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I asked my dealer to make several customization setting changes before I took delivery, they initially had the same reaction. I then emailed them a pdf of the customizations chapter from the owners manual, and they were fine.

3 people like this.
  10. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I generally don't buy into conspiracy theories. However, is there some internal TMC document that tells dealers not to make the change? There has to be something somewhere as it seems like dealers around the country are saying they won't change the backup beep because it's a liability issue. I mentioned to a salesperson that I wanted this change and he said they wouldn't do it. This doesn't make sense to me as (a) the beep isn't required by law, (b) the beep is internal not external so there's no warning to others like trucks have, (c) it's an available option documented in the manual and (d) as the owner I am requesting the change so shouldn't the responsibility/liability be mine?

I don't get it, but I am going to go after the dealer to get this changed when my 2010 arrives.

11. 12parsecs

12parsecs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They gave me the same story about liability issues, but then called me back a few days later saying that they could do it.

12. wsrussell

wsrussell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the same experience when I picked up my 2010, saleman walked me over to the service department to get the changes done and the service department would not do it without approval from the service manager (who was out for 3 days). I was called about my experience with buying the cars...told them that I did not consider it fully delievered until the customizations were done and that the service manager had failed to call me back thus far. The service manager called me back about 15 minutes later. He also was unaware of being able to change these options. I told him what I had read here and in the manual and that I still wanted it done. He said that he would hook it up to the computer and see what he could do...suprise, suprise...finished in about 10 minutes. Afterward, I found that the service department had not had any of these request yet and only 3 of the techs had done any work on the 2010 thus far... Guess we will have to continue to train the service department:cool:

13. DanG 01

DanG 01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After owning my 2010 Prius IV for about a week, I went into the dealership and told them to:

Change the annoying reverse beep to just one beep.

Get rid of the (very annoying) beeps when a seatbelt is removed.

Without charge, the dealer accomplished both of these items.

14. Kimbapooch

Kimbapooch New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think so. My dealer (in No Cal) went down the whole list of customizable items. Certain ones he recommended not changing for one safety reason or another but never balked at changing anything I wanted changed. Took 10 minutes.

Why would Toyota make these changeable at all if it was a liability issue? At best it's just a deterrent.

BTW it's Sooo nice not having to listen to that annoying beep while backing out of the garage! If anything it's safer because I can now hear my surroundings as I back up.

15. LINKSTER

LINKSTER LINKSTER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I believe it's on page 584 in my owner's manual

16. LINKSTER

LINKSTER LINKSTER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

18. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. what a mission.. those beeps really are super annoying.. Looks like ill be paying the dealship a visit this weekend..

19. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I stopped by the local dealership today to have them look at my cracked wheel cover. (which thankfully they are going to replace as an under warranty item) I then asked the service manager if he would change my reverse beep to one, and he said it'd be a $49 charge to hook the computer up.

Sigh.

Guess I'll have to try another service dept.

20. jaywolf

jaywolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

My dealer change the reverse beeps and the the headlight off setting for free in about 10 minutes.