1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tips to get out of snow - street parking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bluesman78, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have all season tires (michelin Defender) with good tread.

There were a few inches of snow recently and the car wouldn't even move when I stepped on gas. It was better in reverse.

Now we are having about 15 inches. I will dig out the car but just wanted to be sure to get advice on how to get out of my parking space. Is it an issue of increasing the traction through kitty litter or digging out even more to bare surface. I was thinking of buying those traction pads you can put down to help get out of snow as well. Thanks guys for all the tips and stay warm!

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same as any other car. Slow, slow slow.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All good ploys. Consider also angling the wheel hard over to one side, see if you can make a little progress, then hard over the other, and try for a bit more. Carry on, zig-zagging your way out. Hopefully...

Up here, the land of "hardly ever snows", the X-Ice go on mid-November, come off mid-March.

With 15", best stay home. Even with anywhere close to 10", same story. The Prius is low-slung.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Probably you don’t even have any problems. Although I have don’t know much about all seasons as here you have to use winter tires in winter.

But if you’re stuck in a place just change the gear between reverse and drive with little to no pressure on accelerator pedal. You can do that with no brake applied. It doesn’t cause wear to transmission unlike in normal car as Prius transaxles reverse just works by changing the MG2 direction.

Key is to rock it out of the place without losing the traction and spinning the tire(s). Start with no accelerator pedal and learn the rhythm to get it rocking. If that’s not enough for it to jump out of the hole, just apply a bit of accelerator and keep going.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. nednvermont

nednvermont Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What others have written are right-on... Another thing to check is to make sure the vehicle isn't high-centered at all. These vehicles are so low that it's easy to do. Digging under the cars is hard, of course. I once had to use a pair of skis to get the reach to clear out the snow under my 2007 Prius. Good luck!

6. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I lived in the foothills of the Rockies the Prius was my better half's car. I always had to plow the driveway down as close to the ground as possible.

I kept a set of chains in the car but never used them. However, I always used studded tires and that helped once out on roads with compact snow and ice. Your state may not allow studded tires, and IMHO, that's a shame.

For your kind of snow, I much preferred my 4WD Ranger and AWD Safari... they were beasts! As I type this I'm watching a FOX News report from Boston... largest tide, heavy snow, low temps and high winds...

Brr..God bless you all. Good luck on digging out. IMHO, stay home and hunker down.

7. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the tips. Yeah I live in an urban new england city. I won't need to drive in this, but I will need to dig myself out so I can use the car when the streets are plowed and all is back to normal.

Sounds like the key difference is not floor your pedal like I might in a regular old car but rock back and forth and rotate the wheel.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  8. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Might also be the traction control kicking in. Do you see a flashing yellow light when you push the gas pedal?

9. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Definitely, but it seems like that is a safety mechanism for the transaxle so I have no desire to mess with that.

10. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah it is a safety device for the transaxle, it protects it from overevving mg2 since the electric torque, plus for example let’s say you spun the wheels up to 20 mph on snow but then the car suddenly hit asphalt and grabbed it would destroy the transaxle. I have temporarily disabled it to get up a out of a farmers market field.

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you’re stuck on a spot traction control doesn’t hurt you at all. Traction control allows way more slip than optimum.

Problem with traction control can happen if you’re going (relatively) slowly on (relatively) steep uphill.

12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Flooring the pedal was never a good idea.

valde3 likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I remember the Gen 2's finicky traction control system.

I would use whatever can help you gain traction - kitty litter or pads/mats will help.

Don't turn the wheel without moving the car cause that'll melt the snow and create a thin film of water which won't help your cause.

Try to clear as much snow as you can around the front and side of the car. (Rear if you need the extra space).

Try the rocking method.... umm.. not the rocking back and forth (Although that could help and I think most people know about this one) but I mean rocking the car forward and letting it roll back then lightly pressing the accelerator again. You can gain momentum a bit quicker since you're not braking and shifting into reverse then rolling back and braking and shifting into D. You're just in drive and slowly rocking. I hope that made sense.

14. RogerInColorado

RogerInColorado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    When I try to get out of snow, I always find it better not to turn the front wheels or not to turn them very far. I try to park where I can back out (park on corner) or pull forward (driveway).

valde3, kenoarto and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You don’t have to brake to change between drive and reverse on gen 2 Prius. You don’t even have to lift the accelerator. So changing between drive and reverse is the best option in gen 2 Prius.

On manual transmission car that one way rocking works the best as you can just press in the clutch to get it to neutral. With automatic transmission car still wants to go forward with no accelerator pressed.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I did that back and forth the last time I got stuck, in a side of road snow pack. Got me out.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not good for the motor (or a transmission in a regular car) to shift between D/R without coming to a stop but it's your car :)

Either way, rocking can help but given the sensitivity of the Gen 2's traction control, I'd make life easier and throw down some sand or kitty litter.

18. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There’s no problem in a Prius like I mentioned in my previous post on this thread.

Changing dirction without stopping is bad for most of transmissions including manual, traditional automatic, CVT, DSG, and more.

19. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not worried at all if we get snow dumped here, I watched a segment on the local TV that explained how to handle winter weather. First she had the hood up and pulled the battery terminal cover up and said if you see green stuff built up here, get your battery checked. There were a couple of other "tips" and she ended showing a Nissan Altima stuck in the snow and explained how to get unstuck, just take the floor mat and jam it under the rear tire for traction. And now you know, 15" of snow now no problem.

20. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was able to get out of the spot decently easily. Just shoveled a bit under hte front wheels and rear wheels and just kept reversing and going forward while turning the wheels one bit at a time. So was a lot easier that I thought! Snow tires had nothing to do with it. Definitely didn't need to floor the "gas" for it to work!