1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire buying question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaw444, Jul 23, 2012.

1. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tend to have a hard time with using the search engine on these forums. I will post my question, but if anyone has a link to previous threads where this was discussed, i would appreciate getting the link or search terms.

I need to replace my tires, they are now worn out, i think the last tread was 2/32 on three of them. One of them consistently has 10/32, i replaced one due to road hazard.

i got the 2007 Prius in 09 and info on these forums led me to replace the Integrities that were on the car with Good Year Triple Tread Assurance P195 60 R15. i wanted the safest tires for holding the road because i was using the car for work with a lot of driving all over the place, lots of miles, all kinds of conditions.

I am not driving the car very much now, i have a different car i'm using for work which i will sell when i retire in a year or so, and will go back to driving the Prius full time but i don't think it will be very much.

The tires i got in 2009 are now discontinued, Discount Tires said they are replaced by Assurance Triple Tread A/S which are different and better. Does anyone have any info on this?

In spite of replacing the stock tires on my car with the more expensive Assurance Triple tread tires, i experienced hydroplaning for the first time in my life. Are there any tires that would prevent that? No other car i ever drove, same road, same conditions, had hydroplaning, where i was changing lanes even though i was driving straight and narrowly missed the car on my right because they got out of the way, very scary.

At one of the two Discount Tires i called today, they said they have Michelin Primacy XV4 which they said was better than the Good Year, costing slightly less, $117. The Assurances are $129. The Michelins have a 60K warranty. The Assurance Triple Treads have 80K warranty. I only put 40K miles on those tires and they need replacing now. I'm hoping Good Year will pro-rate them. Is the warranty meaningless? The guy at one of the Discount Tires said that if the wear was even on the tires, Good Year would probably not pro-rate them. i also have a Life of Tire warranty that extends the warranty on the tires. Is this all meaningless?

thanks for any clarity or guidance.

2. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry, i just succeeded with the search engine, finding a couple of threads on tire decisions. From this one, Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat it sounds like what i want might be Continental ContiProContact with EcoPlus ? Would i get the 195 60 R15 size? i am going to see how much these cost. Also recommended on that thread are Hankook Optimo 727. i don't mean they are necessarily recommended, but these are described as Prius Chat favorites. One thing i notice is that my current tires which were recommended by a lot of Prius Chat people in early 2009 are not mentioned at all. I called the Discount Tire guy to ask about the Continentals and the Hankook--they are both way less than the Good Year Triple Treads. He told me that i should still get the Good Year because they're made in USA. I am not even able to afford to get four of the Good Years, i was planning to get two now and two more as soon as i can. But i could get four of the Hankooks at $85 each. The Continentals are $109, definitely more attractive than the $129 Good Years. I'm just very curious about why the Good Years are no longer making the Prius Chat favorites list....

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use Good Year Assurance Fuel Max and really like them! If your triple tread are wearing even and they are toast then Good Year will cover them under warranty. Probably pro- rated, but that will bring the cost down. I was thinking of triple tread as most folks like them. With Michelin I think I would go energy savers. H

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMHO, you are on the right track following the list F8L posted.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat

I believe the 195/60/15 is the alternate tire size for the stock 15" wheels. If I understand correctly, that size is a little wider would should give more stability on the road. Check and compare that with the standard 185/65/15 for confirmation of that fact.

I have been looking at tires from the categories that are on the list you are looking at. If I were to buy today, I would opt out for the Bridgestone Ecopia EP 422 or the Michelin Energy Savers A/S. Recently I read a rumor that Michelin has discontinued the A/S in the Prius size, but I have not been able to confirm or disprove that rumor. Check with your local tire dealer for availability of those tires.

I think as long as you go with a LRR tire that is found on this list that is affordable to your pocket book, you should do Ok. You might consider getting a road hazard warranty if you can afford it. With the luck I have on tires, I usually end up replacing them long before they are wore out due to nails, and others hazards that are run over. I have had to replace two tires twice in the last 18 months due to damage to them that were not repairable. If I would have had the road hazard warranty, the replacement cost would have been much cheaper.

Good luck to you and I hope this helps.

Ron (dorunron)

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For max traction, cheap price, longevity and ok mpg then the ProContact with EcoPlus are great. If you want max mpg and comfort then the Energy Saver A/S is your best choice. Just make sure to get the $70 Michelin rebate. The AVID Ascend and Defender should be good choices as well. Assuming you will put 80,000 miles on the car within 4yrs or so. Otherwise stick with the high mpg lower tread wear tires for max savings and safety. Tires get hard and traction suffers as they age such that after 4+years stopping distance could be compromised compared to a newer tires.

jaw444 likes this.
  6. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the info, i appreciate it. i'm still deciding. Money is tight making the Hankook Optimos more attractive. Also making the Assurance Triple Treads unattractive, given that a lot of people are happy with lower priced tires. i can't really afford the Assurance tires right now, and they didn't keep my car from a really scary hydroplane in the rain and they only lasted about 40K miles. Maybe that's better than most? Anyway, the Continentals would be preferable, price-wise and having a good reputation. i'm still thinking about it. The Hankooks are not LRR. Are the Assurance Triple Treads i have considered LRR?

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Hankook H727 ae not the best for traction/handling either. If you are just going to settle for a cheap tire then check out Costco's sale on the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422. They have an instant $70 rebate plus -$30 on mounting and balancing. :)

8. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The triple tread are LRR. I believe they are one of the best for not hydroplane? You must of had very severe conditions. H

9. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was raining hard, going about 65 in the car pool lane, driving straight ahead, everything appeared and felt normal, other traffic going same speed, very wide freeway, the traffic was light but slower than usual because of the rain, a typical condition, i think, i've driven those roads under those conditions all my life, it's like the car just came up off the road and went sideways, i don't remember any unusually severe wind, there may have been wind but the main thing i remember is there was a lot of rain. But not to where the other traffic was slowing down much. i did not see that coming at all. It was a couple of years ago, the tires should not have been worn, i got them in early 09.

Since i last consulted Prius Chat for tires, the term LLR has come, i hadn't heard that before. My impression is that this means better gas mpg and fuel economy? i haven't had a chance to resarch it (my daughter is having a wedding saturday, busy) but still need to get tires, or at least an alignment, i was going to do both at the same time, but maybe if i want to learn more about tires before buying, i could just get an alignment, i have to drive from LA to Santa Barbara and back, about 90 miles each way i think, and the tread on three of the tires is 2/32.

Wouldn't LRR suggest less traction if the tire is not 'resisting'? it just sounds like it could mean that. I'm short on money at this time, and am normally not driving this car, i use another one for most driving, so i want to get a low priced tire but still a reliable tire, have to find that balance,i don't want to get a problem tire, but i can't afford the Good Years this time. When the Prius Chat post on LRR tires lists most popular Prius Chat tires, ending with the Hankooks, saying they are not LLR but still a good tire, can anyone say what might be meant by 'good' in that description? I looked at the tires on the Hankook site, they post a comparison with a competitor in which they have higher ratings on 4 or 5 things, but i don't know what that really means. I don't think it said who the competitor was, i couldn't find it, so meaningless.

All i'm going on is this tire being included in this list on Prius Chat and described as 'a good tire.' and also, a post by a Prius Chat member reporting a very good experience with the tires in all kinds of weather.

How does the Micheline Hydroedge (catchy name traction-wise) compare? How does it compare to the Primacy, which Discount tires says is as good as the Assurances but costs a little less? What does GreenX mean?

i'm writing down questions as i go through the list on the LRR tire link.

10. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the list, under the 195 size, it has the Hankooks and it says that it's " reported to be great in snow". Does being good in snow have anything to do with being good in rain?

11. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Go to the standard size tire for your Prius, 185/65/r15 and your car will be less prone to hydroplane as it is a narrower tread than 195/60 /r15. H

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That does make sense since the standard size is narrower.

One thing stands out though about hydroplaning, and that is that the faster you go the greater the chance to hydroplane. That is why they teach in driver's ed to slow down when it is raining. Some tires fair better than other's concerning traction, but I doubt very seriously there is a tire out there that will not hydroplane at some point.

13. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the info. i got the Hankook Optimos today, i needed the tires by today and the alignment, because i have a 90 mile drive tomorrow. i thought i was just going to replace the tires with the Assurances but they are discontinued and i don't really have the money for those now anyway. I'd never heard of Hankook before. i would've thought that the wider tires would have more traction, so i will keep that advice in mind for next time about using the standard 185 Prius size. And it makes sense that speed would raise the risk for hydroplaning. I just have never had it happen before and while the speed i was going was fast in the rain, it was probably 10 mph less than usual non-rain speed and given never having this problem before, it seemed like an OK speed, i was totally unprepared for what happened and am associating it with the car, not so much the tires--the Prius doesn't seem as stable sometimes as all the other cars i've ever driven with the exception of the VWs, it seems kind of like the VWs in a way. i hope it won't happen anymore. i tried the tires out, going fast into going around corners and seeing where they would skid. They seem the same as the tires i replaced. Thanks again for your help.

14. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Search for local Craigslist for used tires. All tires on my Prius was bought used at about 80% thread leftover for roughly $25 each. You should find someone to balance/install it at $100 or $80 for 4 tires, lower the total cost to less than $200 with 80% thread. I consider it a good deal compare to any new. Just to make sure the used tires are in great condition.

As long as you don't drive aggressively, any tire is good tire in my view. Make sure you put same size tires in pair on front or rear. My front tires are 195/60/15, rears are 185/65/15. No problem at all.

15. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Allen, that's a helpful suggestion. i always buy pre-owned cars, saving a lot of money and getting great cars that run forever and make me just as happy as if they were new. i would love to save money on tires, especially since the warranty doesn't seem to mean anything. When i got my tires yesterday, with a 100,000 mile warranty and a Life of Tire extended warranty, i expect that except for road hazard, that means nothing, it's probably worthless, based on my current experience. The tires i just replaced with 2/32 tread had a 80,000 mile warranty and i've only put less than 40K on them. The Discount Tire guy asked if i wanted them to dispose of the tires. I said i wanted to get a refund from Good Year because they didn't last as long as the warranty miles. He was very discouraging, saying that they never back up those warranties. !! good to know. He also said that because i'm getting a different brand, i won't get any kind of refund, it's only if i replace with the same tires (which are now discontinued). i pressed the issue so he called Good Year and asked them, and they told him to send them the tires, they would back the warranty. He asked them if they would be issuing me a check. The answer seemed to be yes. The Discount Tire guy told me that it would take them up to 6 months to make a decision about a refund. He said "They always have some excuse not to back it up." I asked what and he said like the tires haven't been balanced or rotated. Anyway, i insisted that he send the tires to Good Year and he said he would do it, and that i should expect to wait 6 months, and there was no receipt he could give me or any follow up number i could use with Good Year. He said Good Year would not contact me, they would contact Discount Tires and let them know, and they would let me know.

16. drive2much

drive2much Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I currently have Michelin Primacy tires on my '05 Prius. They are the first tire to last any length of time on that car. The Primacy tires are my 3rd set. The original didn't last very long, and the second set (I think they were something from Goodyear) got replaced with around 30K on them. I now need new tires again (at 115K), and the Primacy lasted nearly the entire 60K. They are pricey, but they just may be worth it from a lasting standpoint.

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LA's Discount Tire must be handling warranties different from the one's here in Texas. They consistanly prorate the tires by tread depth as long as you can show that you have maintained alignments, rotation, and not let the shocks or struts go bad. It seems odd that the Discount rep told you the treadwear warranty would not be honored if the tires wore evenly like they did. It sounds to me like that particular Discount Tire was not following company protocol to make more money off of you. I think if you would have went to a Goodyear dealer and showed them your tires, along with the receipts showing the alignments, rotations, etc. and bought another set of tires from them (Goodyears), that they would have gladly prorated the tires. That is what the tire warranties are all about. They can warrant them for whatever they want, but that does not mean that you will or will not achieve their warranty figure. There are too many variables that affect how a tire wears on a vehicle.

The following is taken directly from Goodyears website.

Tire Warranty | Goodyear Tires

How will Tread Life Limited Warranty charges be calculated?
    If the tread wears evenly down to the treadwear indicators (worn to 2/32" or .16 cm) before delivering the warranted mileage, the tire will be replaced on a prorated basis, if the original invoice is presented showing the vehicle mileage when the tires were originally installed.
    EXAMPLE: If your tire had a tread life limited warranty of 80,000 mi. (130,000 km) and delivered 56,000 mi. (91,000 km) prior to wear-out (down to 2/32" or .16 cm), the tire will be replaced for 70% of the advertised selling price of the comparable tire at the time of adjustment. If the price of the new comparable tire is $130, the cost to you would be $91, plus any additional charges such as mounting, balancing, and any other applicable taxes and government-mandated charges.
    The Tread Life Limited Warranty applies only if you are the original purchaser and the tires have been used only on the vehicle on which they were originally installed, according to Goodyear or the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations.
    However, the Tread Life Limited Warranty does not apply to tires:
    • Used in commercial applications including, but not limited to, police, taxi service, national account, government, and contract sales
    • Supplied as original equipment
    • Installed on any vehicle other than the vehicle on which they were originally installed
    • That after leaving the producing factory have had the tread pattern altered in any manner such as, but not limited to, siping, carving, shaving, or having any material applied to the tread surface
    You must retain your original tire purchase invoice (see the second bullet under Owner’s Obligations) for Tread Life Limited Warranty consideration.

End of quote from website.

I am not defending Goodyear, but I am saying that imo Discount Tire dropped the ball on this one. Hope you have better luck with them in the future.

Ron (dorunron)

18. mbooth62

mbooth62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use Kumho Solus KH16's ... much better than the integrities (handling) and good price compared to Michelin. I have about 60K miles on them and the front's need replacing soon - also starting to get a bit noisy with age - but that is common with many tires. I might try the Bridgestone ecopia's next however....but if you are looking for low cost - check out the Kumho's ...

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    THe Kumho's are not really that cheap when you consider the price of the Continental ProContact with Ecoplus or the Ecopia EP422 with the $70 rebate and the Michelin Energy Saver A/S with the $70 rebate and superior mpg. The initial purchase price is not all that matters when buying tires. :)

20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When looking at TireRack.com the write up on the Kumho Solus KH 16's plainly states that LRR is specified in the tire sizes.

The only LRR tire I can see is the alternate size for the 15" wheel which is for the standard (non touring) Gen 2 Prius.

195/60R15
    Load Index 87 = 1201lbs (545kg) per tire
    Speed Rating “H” = 130mph (210kph) 87H SLMax Load = 1,190 lbs
    Max psi = 44 psi
    LRR: ecoLow Rolling Resistance Tire Technology Treadwear: 440
    Traction: A
    Temperature: A440 A A
    Country of Origin "KR" = KOREA, REPUBLIC OFKR

Some folks prefer the alternative tire size while other's complain about wet traction problems due to the additional width.

Source: Kumho Solus KH16

Price $341.40 with road hazard warranty plus shipping as per TireRack.com, add to that additional cost of installation by dealer where tires will be shipped to.