1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tire chains

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by grantiehill, Dec 9, 2004.

1. grantiehill

grantiehill New Member

I'm about to pick up my Prius and will be driving it immediatly in potential snowy conditions. Does anyone have experience with tire chains. Any suggestion for type of chains to buy?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've used tire chains in the past for driving to ski resorts in Utah, and they work well. Though they are a PITA to put on and take off.

Are you driving in mountain conditions? If you're driving in more moderate winter conditions and don't have to worry about a chain law, have you considered a good winter tire instead?

I just put on 4 Dunlop Graspic DS2 on steel wheels, and on slush, hardpack snow, and ice, they're great. Haven't had deep enough snow to test in heavy stuff, but they should be okay for that too.

I have used Firestone WinterFire studded tires in the past, and they seem to work very well too. A coworker of mine just put on 4 Cooper WeatherMaster ST2 studded tires, and she claims they're outstanding, especially on ice.

I have also used Bridgestone Blizzak WS50 tires and they work very well on ice and in deep snow. Like the studless Dunlop tires, they should not be used in temps over 40 F, and the steering response will be quite numb. I lost around 3 MPG with the Dunlop winter tires.

A fair tradeoff for the much improved winter traction.

Note to Danny: the Spell Check doesn't appear to work

3. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking about that. I never used snow chain before and now Im in Japan. So, by law require to use snow chain around where I work right now.
    When snow starts most people are recomended me to commute by train which takes 2hr :cussing: instead 1hr driving time :roll:
    Still debating to buy snow tire, because no place to store summer tire
    :oops:

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drove in snow several times last winter and found the Prius to handle very well. I haven't had to use chains yet, but went over the pass just before Thanksgiving and it is required to carry chains. I had several sets of cable chains from previous cars so I jacked Salsa up and tried until I found a set that would fit. I have used them for years with good results. Just remember that they aren't made for speed, 30-40 MPH is fast enough. The pass was clear when we came back but closed the next day because of heavy snow. Good Timing.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You didn’t mention where you are from, how often they will be used, etc.

Look into getting a pair of “Cable†tire chains . . . they make the car rattle much less than real (thick) link chains.

Spend according to your needs.
    If rarely used, get the cheaper “ladder†pattern chains. They are good enough for any situation. If you will be using them fairly often get the “Diagonal†pattern . . . better traction and even smoother ride.

Check this link for SCC’s products.
    http://www.scc-chain.com/Pages%20Traction/...rac%20prod.html

Their cheeper "ladder" type has got me out of Sierra snowstorms safely every time.

6. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Growing up in central New Hampshire, the folks had used tire chains every winter until after WWII. Then we, and many others bought Willys Jeeps or Dodge Power Wagons with four-wheel drive....didn't need chains after that, doncha know.

Today, the best for general snow/slush/ice conditions are very good snow tires...and a VERY SOFT TOUCH on the accelerator, brake pedal, and steering wheel....use patience, and be cool.

If you don't have snow tires, chains are OK for hard packed snow. They are almost worthless on glare ice, as is everything else, and bare roads will tear them up in a New York Second! By the way, if you use chains, then you better have a large supply of Monkey Links, or whatever chain repair links are called nowadays. Also, as said above, they are a Royal Pain to put on! Most people wait until after they need them, and then it's in the middle of a Nor'east Blizzard, blowing 50+, with the temp around 20...T'ain't Worth It, McGee!!!

The Prius is a front wheel drive car. Years ago the Saab proved that front wheel drive is the best for running in snow....it PULLS the car up and over the drifts rather than trying to push the car through them. With a rear wheel drive car, the rear wheels are pushing as if there's no tomorrow, then when the front wheels bog down, the rear keep on pushing until they come around and pass the stalled fronts. Get the picture?

My most memorable memory is that of a 16 year-old kid (me) in a Jeep rescuing the town plow that had jammed up in a snow bank. The plow had chains, but the Jeep had four-wheel drive. Talk about an ego-trip!

7. grantiehill

grantiehill New Member

Thanks for all of your helpful hints. I did fail to mention where I live. Sierra foothills in California. Have 4 Runner for forecast serious conditions. Have used tire chains on all manner of other vehicles for 40 years. I guess I really wanted to know if there is plenty of room in The wheel wells for traditional chains. I think you've aqnswered my Question in the affirmative. Ive seen many drivers flailing and failing with cable type chains in the past. I'm getting the vehicle within a week!

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yikes, you really DO need chains. I think the wheel wells should allow the chains. My 2000 GMC Sierra had NO clearance, the factory tire would rub agains the plastic inner fender on extreme turns.

9. dnbinfv

dnbinfv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    When we picked up our 2005 Prius, the dealership has us sign a form "Tire Chain Disclosure"
    It states "As equipped, this vehicle may not be operated with tire chains but may accomodate some other type of tire traction device. See the owner's manual for details"
    The dealer did suggest that tire cables are ok.

Donna
    Silver 04 #9, Salsa o5 BC

10. b2cker

b2cker Junior Member

I was just about to ask similar questions. 1) cables or chains? I couldn't find whether the Prius was Class "S" in the manual and my local dealer had no clue. Does anyone know? 2) SCC's website mentions that some hub caps will be scratched by their chains if the hub caps protrude out from the wheel. It looks to me like the Prius' do. Does anyone know from experience if this is true or not? 3) Any recommendations on tire pressure when you know you are going to be running in snow?

Thanks
    Bruce

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hey Bruce I bought SCC shur-grip z-cables for the classic prius in the OEM tire size. So far I have only done a practice installation in the garage. It is quite a tight fit to get them on! There seems to be very little space between the installed cables and the coil over the front struts, so I cannot imagine that conventional tire chains would fit there. Don't expect any problem with the plastic center hub, but who knows?

12. grantiehill

grantiehill New Member

Hey Bruce and tochatihu. I just looked at the SCC site. It looks like the Super Z6 leaves more clearance on the inside than does the Shurgrip Z. Reading between the lines, it seems like they may be more expensive.

Thanks for the heads up on the clearance problem Tochatihu. Looks like I should be gatting cables, not chains.

Rick

13. ggrimaud

ggrimaud New Member

Here in Reno I see a lot of cars with a black disk attached to the front wheel. I always thought it was some scam "auto tire balancer" thing. Turns out that people that commute to Tahoe, or just ski often, use a chain alternative called Spikes-Spider. The disk is the mounting system. Kind of pricy, but if you have to stop to chain up twice a day it makes sense.

Web site here: http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Gehri:

THANK YOU that product sounds amazing! Ever come across a product that just made so much sense you've smacked your forehead and shouted "why the h*** didn't I think of that?!?"

Sounds like Spikes Spider beats chains hands down.

15. ggrimaud

ggrimaud New Member

Can't beat that Swiss workmanship, the jeweled movement and ... :p

16. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have had Spikes spider for 6 years for my Chrysler Sebring( same reasons, dealer gave a chain disclosure) and I ahte to burst the bubble, but, Spikes is far more difficult to install-both at home at first and the second part on the road- than chains. Much more than their site would have you believe. One has to remove, yes take off, both front tires(tyres) one by one, look at dozens of combinations of screws- you have to choose the 3-4 connections that seem to work best out of many similar ones- then put these new screws with connections on the wheels. Then you try and often find they were the wrong ones and take off the tires again and so on, even worse if you find out on the road or just haven't had the time to put them on. Then when in snow, you have to try and put on two large plastic claw like thingys on each tire. Sometimes they go on ok but are always very difficult to remove as the screws get tightened. They also scratch and remove all markings from tire sidewalls as they cover them while moving. In addition these things are heavy and will take almost all the trunk space compared to chains which can be put in a corner. They can and often do break, that is pice by piece and the screws do rust, making it harder to remove and install them as time goes by. Last but not least, they cost around $ 400 while chains are often 20-30.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm, so much for chains being obsolete. Maybe should just commute in the Polaris if the weather is that nasty?

18. CyJak

CyJak New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggrimaud @ Dec 14 2004, 11:54 AM) [snapback]57372[/snapback]</div>
    Planing some winter trips to Steamboat Springs ( several passes highest is at Leadville elevation >10,000 feet and often can require chain in bad weather) and so in checking out tire posts on PC for snow handling (stock, snow tires and chains) saw this post. Contacted Fred at spikes-spiders.com he was most helpful and since he was only a short trip away went to see and discuss the Spikes Compact. While this is a pricy product
    as ggrimaud. They are a simple and sweet system. Installing the "disk" to the front wheel takes only 30 minutes (both wheels) then the traction device attaches when needed in less than 30 seconds a tire. Removal is just as easy.

I've used chains before and by the time you need them it's cold and snow/icy your hands get cold and yiu don't want to do this (put on the chains but you need them). This system is safer and I know I won't mind stopping to put them on. In a nutshell I will be more inclined to not debate with myself and stop to put on the traction device.

I bought them and will use them.

Cy

2006 Red (Oct '05)
    Package: 6
    Mods:
    EV Kit
    Electric door lock kit - locks all 4 doors at 15 MPH

19. CyJak

CyJak New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gurmail @ Dec 14 2004, 08:58 PM) [snapback]57540[/snapback]</div>

I can't comment on the last statements since I just purchased them. Installation for adapter on my Prius took about 15-20 minutes and installation of the traction arms less than 30 seconds per tire. I have had sidewall buffing when I used chains. The cost would equate to the price of a set of snow tires. Snows are good in snow but unless studded are not good on ice. In the rockies when chain laws are in effect they are in effect because you might get stuck without them. Some tire chain laws are like the motorcycle helmut laws you only have to have them in the car. Good or bad that is another thread.

For your information the main SPIKES-SPIDER website is
    www.spikes-spiderusa.com/spider/SpikesSpiderx.html
    my dealer in Albuquerque is
    www.spikes-spiders.com/ Please note the ending s in spike

The site listed as www.spike-spiders.com/ without the ending s does not return phone calls and I've heard from others is not customer service oriented.

Finally, as even with chains you should practice putting them on before you need them. With the Spiders you mount the adapter in the fall and remove them in the spring I have been driving around with the adapters for two weeks and don't see and difference in the handling. I watch the weather and when any storm is predicted I carry the emergency supplies which I have done in the past and will now add the traction device to my supplies. I became more concerned about winter driving this past month because of the severe storm that hit Colorado last week and the family that was lost after Thanksgiving in Washington. Winter driving preparation is worth it to prevent the consequences.

Just my 2 cents plain

2006 Red (Oct '05)
    Package: 6
    Mods:
    EV Kit
    Electric door lock kit - locks all 4 doors at 15 MPH