1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire changes

Discussion in 'PriusChat Shop Forum' started by bwilling, Oct 27, 2009.

1. bwilling

bwilling New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 prius with 86000 miles and I am about to replace the tires for the 5th time. I also noticed that after each tire rotation great deal of tire noise until about 3000 miles after change. What are the best tires that will last on this car? Never had a car in my life (I am over 70) with this many tire changes.:(

2. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would have checked the tire toe angles on the car...about 3 sets of tires ago. What brand of tires have you run on the car in the past (what 5 brands)? What kind of terrain do you generally drive on and at what speeds? What psi do you generally set your tires at (% higher or lower than recommended)?

3. bwilling

bwilling New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first tire change were Goodyear with the dual thread. The present pair are winter tires and the alignment was checked before that change. I don't remember what the third set was. The terrain up here in the UP of Michigan is hilly with curves. We go to Chicago about 4 times a year so highway speed average is about 60 to 73 mph. All of our driving is in the country. Nearest town is 12 miles away. We don't have traffics jams only when we go to Chicago. I run recommended tire psi as stated on the door jam.

One more thing we don't drive this car all winter long. I have found that on our back roads which don't plowed all of the time it is easy to get caught in a rut and end up in a ditch, and once in the ditch the car is dead you can't even spin the wheels let alone try to back out.

The service station guy tells me that he has other Prius's owners that have the same problems with tires.