1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire choices 185/65/15 vs 195/65/15 Ecopia EP422 vs Yokohama Avid Ascend GT

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 05_silver, Dec 18, 2022.

1. 05_silver

05_silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just purchased a set of 195/65/15 Yokohama Avid Ascend GT tires for my 2002 Jetta TDI. I haven't used my beloved Harbor Freight Manual Tire Changer and bubble balancer yet to put them on, but my Ecopia EP422 Plusses are getting down to the wear bars on my 2005 Prius.

The Yokohamas are supposed to be LRR with BluEarth and do better in the snow per TireRack than the Ecopias. I might go with these on the Prius too but wanted your thoughts. There is something to be said about having several cars with the same tires especially since I am going to be mounting them and balancing them myself.

Also, I would like to potentially go with the same 195/65/15s on the Prius for similar reasons etc. I would also like to lift it a few mm while at it. However, I am concerned with fuel economy to include accuracy, odometer accuracy etc. I did some searching around and it almost seems like 195/65/15s might somehow be more accurate than the stockers. If that is not the case then would I be hurting my fuel economy by going with the 195/65/15 vis a vis 185/65/15?

Thanks for your thoughts and time in advance!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've had both sizes on similar cars I don't think on the Prius you're sacrificing anything there's not enough of a difference in the size to really make the marginal effects that noticeable I mean even when you do the math on paper but.

05_silver likes this.
  3. 05_silver

05_silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. 195 is going to be a little easier to mount considering my back woods approach of mounting as well now that I think about it.