1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire comparison - Michelin Energy Savers vs. Bridgestone Ecopua vs Michelin Premier A/S vs. Yokohama

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by priusdonkey, Apr 21, 2016.

1. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2016 four touring came with 17" Yokohama blue earth OEM stock tires I'm looking to replace them with a better quality tire. Any thoughts and comparisons between the following tires:

Bridgestone Ecopia plus
    Michelin Premier A/S

The Michelin Premier All Season is their newest tire and Bridgestone Ecolia Plus is the leader in LRR tires and MPG. So do I keep the Yokohamas trade up to Michellins or replace with Ecopias for better mpg, smoother ride and better performance? Frankly, I think the yokohamas are good tires but I don't think I'm going to get the tread life out of them that I would with the Michellins?

I'm leaning toward the Michellin with their - Michelin Total Performance technology over the Yokohama? Tire Rack placed the Premier AS in the number 1 spot and Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus $144 (70k miles) as #2 for the life of the tire.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Let's get it right once, lol. Are you meaning "Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 plus"?

I was leaning towards the Ecopia for next time, but now I'm a bit put off, by the fact that in both the 15" and 17" size there's two iterations, different wear ratings, different max pressure, different country of origin, and even different tread pattern ( the latter at least in the 15" size). Someone here even found he'd had two of each installed. All of this is getting off-putting for me, and I really wish Bridgestone would wake up and address this: the devil is in the details. You can make a great tire, and then sink it with these variables.

Right now I'm thinking Michelin Premier A/S once again. I know there's a likely increase in rolling resistance, but I'm coming from Michelin Pilots in our 17" size, and while they're in no way rated LRR, even on the Michelin site, we're doing not too bad on ours. The Premier A/S may be the goldilocks tire?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  3. cunnink2

cunnink2 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I moved up to 17" Toyo Versado Eco. So far so good.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't believe any tire in the U.S. 195x65x15 is more fuel efficient than the Michelin Energy Saver AS tire. I tried the EP422 Plus
    on our 2010 Prius. Terrible tire, less mpg's, and at high speed the car tended to wander as if blown by a side wind, even though there
    was no side wind. Took them back to Costco during the 30 day trial period and had them install another set of Michelin Energy Saver AS tires and mpg's and handling are excellent, also a true 65,000-70,000 mile tire life...

bisco likes this.
  5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    This.
    I tried the Premier A/S for about a week, then went with the Primacy. Neither will beat the OEM tires for MPG. That's not to say they aren't great tires - quiet and good handling. I think the Premier was a tad quieter. But the ES-AS remains the champ for LRR performance. However at today's gas prices you won't save enough with ES-AS tires to make that a determining factor.

6. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's an excellent point regarding retail gas prices and the extra mpg from a LRR tire. I called Costco up about the Michellin Energy Saver and I believe they are discontinued and/or on their way out. I think Tirerack still carries them? The Premier AS is the newest tire with LRR genetics.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Not discontinued, just not available at all retailers all the time. If they're too lazy to order some up or go looking for them, they won't find them. Most places just look at their own inventory, not what's actually being made.

bisco likes this.
  8. Lizbug117

Lizbug117 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great thread! Has anyone experienced both the Michelin Energy Savers and Michelin Premier and could share their observations? I've run the energy Savers on my Prius for 4 years and love them. Would be happy to replace with Energy Savers, but am also curious about the Premier a/s. Thank you!

9. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty different tires. I had the ES-AS on my Prius-v and have Primacy on my Rav4 HV, I had the Premier briefly on the Rav. It was much the same as the Primacy.

Anyhow, the Premier is made for long life and traction first, its not a particularly effective LRR tire. Much of what makes a tire LRR also makes it have a shorter tread life and less traction. That said, the ES-AS is a fine all-around tire suitable for most anything other than hard winters. It'll manage well enough in occasional winter weather, handles water well too.

Lizbug117 likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what has you intrigued with the premiers?

Lizbug117 likes this.
  11. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I put the Michelin energy saver A/S on my Prius c. I liked them very much with one exception, their performance on snow is very poor.

Lizbug117 likes this.
  12. Lizbug117

Lizbug117 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    T

#12 Lizbug117, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  13. Lizbug117

Lizbug117 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks all

14. Lizbug117

Lizbug117 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! That helps me a lot. I'm looking for minimal road noise and a comfortable ride, so I think I'll stick with the energy savers.