1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. James Mercer

James Mercer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2014 III. When changing the winter tires today, I noticed the EP20s which have about 25k on them, have tiny cracks near the rim. 100s of them. The tires have about 8/32's tread left and were manufactured in 2013. Are the cracks a problem? I had planned on replacing the tires after this summer anyway. Our Civic hybrid has six year old 422's with no visible cracking.

If tires are in order, besides Michelin Energy A/S which people seem to like, does anyone have anything to say about Continental TrueContacts? In particular, are they quiet and did they impact mileage much?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think the cracks are an issue on tyres that new, but if you're going to replace them early, might as well do it now. i have the michelins.

James Mercer likes this.
  3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Posting a picture of it would help. I've experience with tires that looks old and brittle throughout the tire and it drove fine. As long as it doesn't leak and have a big gash anywhere, it's fine. If you feel unsafe, then change them out for a peace of mind :)

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're still on original Michelin Pilots on our 2010. Car's build date was Aug 2009 (it sat till Nov 2010), and the tires were made in Feb 09 (there's a code on the sidewall that gives year and week). Anyway, they're starting to have fine cracks, but still ok. You have to look close to see them. When they start getting bigger, joining up, then yeah it might be time.

James Mercer likes this.
  5. James Mercer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you all for the advice. I will probably go with new tires as the EP20's are no great shakes anyway. I may have to start a new thread to get feed back on the Continentals.

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the thread is useless without pictures. some minor cracks are harmless ("weathering") while some others are signs of major structural problems.

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replaced my set of Michelin Energy Savers at the beginning of last summer (2016) as very fine cracks had started to appear in the sidewalls, sadly a well-known Michelin problem - the tread lasts longer than the rest of the tyre, but as always, YMMV!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. James Mercer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the cracks are 1/4 of an inch long at most and didn't really show up in the photo I attempted. They are also more prevalent on the inside of the tire.