1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire damage & pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JonathanK, Jun 27, 2011.

1. JonathanK

JonathanK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have 20,000 miles on my Avid S33 tires. I recently got a screw in the tread of one (pretty small, probably #7 x 1/2" used for sheet metal). The tire shop guy said he saw a little bit of torn steel threads when he did the repair. He wasn't trying to sell me new tires, so I have no reason to doubt his comment.

I know tires are overengineered and I am not worried about it blowing out, but do I increase my risk of anything bad happening when I reinflate it to its usual operating pressure of 44 psi?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the repair was done correctly, you should be OK even if you (over) inflate to the max sidewall pressure. It's pretty hard for the patch to fail, and if even if it did....the tire won't explode. The air will just woosh out the hole that's already in your tire. IF you have steel belt damage (and you might), you'll get plenty of warning before anything evil happens to the tire....but I doubt it's anything to lie awake at night worrying about.
    You already have 20K on the tires, so it would be a bad time to replace just one of them.
    Your call.
    If it were my car, I'd roll the dice...and maybe replace all four a little earlier than when they reach whatever you consider to be a minimum tread depth.

If you're that worried about it. Replace them anyway---OR you can replace the repaired tire, and then replace all 4 when the remaining three wear out...keeping the newer tire for the next time that you get screwed.

Like I said...

Your call.

1 person likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've ran my 15s and 17s at higher pressure with patches and not had any problems but as ETC stated, it depends on the quality of the patch and in my opinion, the location of the patch. If it is very close to the tire shoulder then you run a higher risk of failure than if it was in the center of the tire tread.

4. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. I thought about that, but didn't see fit to mention it because (most) tire repair shops, many of which are also tire sales shops, will not patch a tire if the hole is anywhere near the sidewall.
    Proof positive that even bottom-feeding, sniveling, bed-wetting attorneys are useful for something! :D

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In total agreement. :)

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pearl has three patches in the tyres. A vandal was putting screws against the tyres of parked cars. I run 40F 38R. Been running the patched tyres for two years now with no problems. In fact, they are so old the patch rubber is now wearing on the road along with the tread. They were patched from the inside, and even if the glue fails the patch has a large disk that holds it in. I wouldn't trust a patch applied from the outside only. They are for "emergency use" only. To get you back to a tyre shop.

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I assume the repair is a patch & plug (where they remove the tire from the wheel and repair from the inside), and not a simple plug? If not, you should at least have a patch & plug repair done.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1

Any tubeless tire leak repair should include an inside patch. The failure rate on outside plugs is much higher.

9. ScottN

ScottN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have always heard that tires should be replaced in pairs due to the difference from wear. I would think that if the steel belt was damaged you would hear some additional noise from that tire.

10. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it's a front wheel and there's belt damage you'll feel it in the steering wheel, if it's a rear tire you'll feel it in the seat of your pants.

I found the middle of my tires wearing at 38-40lbs and now run 36lbs hoping for more even wear.

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anytime a screw get shoved into a tire there will be some belt damage but the odds of it being damaged enough to feel are slim to none.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the head of a screw imbedded in one of my front tires between the treads. I am not losing any air pressure so do not know whether the screw has pushed through the tire or not.

I run 40/38 psi and do not feel any difference in the feel while driving. I have chosen to leave it alone until I start losing air pressure or change the tires, whichever comes first. I have 31k miles on these tires and down to 4/32" so time for a tire change anyway.

13. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I patch tires all the time and they last the life of the tire if not longer. I never worry about patches. The only time I have been advised not to patch a tire is if another hole is too close to an existing patch.

As for the steel belt wear & tear, I have no clue.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You should NEVER leave any foreign object in your tyres. It's not glued in or properly attached and could come out at highway speed AT ANY TIME! Go to a tyre shop and have them remove it. If it leaks either get it repaired or replace the tyres!

15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur!.....well, maybe except for the spelling of the word "tire".

If you have a screw embedded in your tire (or tyre) you should have it removed and patched. Period.
    Yeah....it might stay there for a while and not leak air...then again your tire might spit the screw back out at a very inconvenient time and place. Think dark and stormy night in a bad neighborhood, or when you're running 5-minutes late for that next job interview.
    No...I don't think that the tire will explode, but there is a very good chance that you're going to get to practice putting the spare tire on when you really don't want to.

Just get it fixed.

EDIT: Yeah...I know. "Tyre" is a perfectly acceptable spelling in some locales. MY spell checker said it was wrong though...:D

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your concern and I totally agree with you. But, I can assure you this screw is not going to come out at highway speeds. I have tried to pull this screw out and cannot budge it. I am more concerned with damaging the tire than it coming out on its own.

I check it now and then to make sure it is not coming loose. Worse case, I expect the tire to start losing air pressure and also I plan to replace the tires in the near future.

17. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you tried... unscrewing it?? :D

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL - I actually thought about that but decided to leave it where it was because it was not leaking.

Murphy's Law - the very next morning after entering my post about the screw, I had the TPMS warning light :mad: I checked the tire pressures and the tire with the screw was reading 30 psi. Normal is 40 psi. +1 for the TPMS warning light.

I pumped the tire up for the ride to work and went to the Sam's Club website and ordered new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. I had debated ordering new tires before the $70 off ran out on July 5th but this forced my hand.

My wife is at Sam's today having them installed.

19. cap160

cap160 Older Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    about the tires or the attorneys:tsk:

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both in this case. Attorneys, can't live with em, can't live without em.