1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Info from Michelin

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusaurus110, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Priusaurus110

Priusaurus110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All: using the wealth of tire info from previous threads I went to replace all 4 OEM tires on my '05 with Michelin low rolling resistance (LRR) Energy MXV4+ tires. But, I had trouble finding them and was also getting conflicting info from local dealers so I contacted Michelin customer service.

I received very helpful and knowledgeable assistance from Michelin. Here are the results of the phone call:

1. Michelin stopped production of Energy MXV4+ in May 2007 with no direct replacement or tire with comparable LRR (that fits the Prius).
    2. Slightly higer on the LRR scale is the Hydroedge but it is not the best Michelin performer in ice and snow.
    3. Slightly higher than the Hydroedge in rolling resistance are both the Primacy MXV4+ and X-Radial (available at Costco). Both are better all-weather tires for ice and snow. Note that they told me the primacy MXV4 is NOT a direct replacement for the Energy MXV4 in spite of what has been said on some previous posts.
    4. Next higher on LRR scale is the Harmony

I went with 4 Primacy tires.

Unsolicited, the rep told me that Michelin had a " Friends of Michelin" promotion going on until the end of Oct 08 (none of the dealers I spoke to knew of this). Michelin mailed me the coupon for $60 off 4 tires which arrived in 4 days. If you want it, call Michelin at 1-866-866-6605 and ask them for the coupon.

It's only been a week, but so far, no dicernable reduction in MPG with the new tires at 42/40 PSI.

Thanks to all that contributed the past Michelin data. It really made this process a lot easier.

1 person likes this.
  2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for sharing this experience. Valuable information for those of us looking for tires!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, thank you for posting this up. That is better than the info I got from them a month ago but the idea was the same. Just not as concise as yours. :)

4. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Me too! Thank you for the info. I run MXV4+'s on our 2000 Avalon w/108K. Averaging around 40K miles a set. About time for next set. May 07 should be O.K. if I can find a set. I call in for the coupon tommorow.
    Really, Thanks again for the heads up!:high5:

5. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just replaced my tires at the end of June with the Costco X-radial DT's. They seem to grip much better than the Integrities but I did take a 4 MPG hit initially but it's coming back up. Costco had the $60 off deal and they ended up costing $444 out the door for the set.

6. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How does the ride compare to the OEM integrities? Is it better? The same? I've been thinking of making the same type of purchase as you just made. :)

7. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wet muddy hooves on bananna peels would be an improvement over the std tire Goodyear.

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    btw, with the demise of the energy Michelin, what is the best tire made by anyone else now I wonder?

any other best LRR out there anymore?

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Nokian i3 and WR series are considered LRR.

10. Priusaurus110

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mrblaise: Hard to say after just one week and trying to compare brand new tires against the worn OEMs with 38,000 miles on them, but, initial impression is that they are a little quieter and smoother. I have not yet used them on the freeways or in the rain so the jury is still out, but I'm very happy so far.

11. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great! Thanks for the input. I'd like to know how they feel and sound on the freeway as I deal with Los Angeles traffic every day.:frusty:

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i've got a set of energy mxv4+ tires on my car, but i have to replace 2 of them. i'm looking at the primacy mxv4s as replacements. will let ya know how that goes when the deal goes down. i'm not paying for em, i have to wait for that to get sorted out first.

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Priusauris..,

New tires have a break-in just like machined parts. It will be 1000 miles plus before you can compare those to your old tires.

I am using hydroedges here. They are alright in snow, but nothing special. On wet pavement however, they are the best tires I have ever driven on. And people tend to no slowdown as much as they should in the wet around here. Where they do in icey and snowy conditions.

14. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's not QUITE correct: Michelin still makes Energy MXV4+ tires, just not in the smaller sizes.

I now have about 3K miles on my Primacys. I can't detect any milage hit (so far). Drove about 500 miles a couple of weeks ago in VERY heavy rain on I79, tires were very good. I found that (on dry pavement) that the tires were much more resposive (aka "twitchy") than the OEM tires. Ride is better, noise about the same (but comparing new Primacys to bald eagles isn't comparing apples to apples).

15. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Quieter?? All those blind people will not jump out of your way! We need a federal law making all tires for hybrids twice as noisy! :eek:

16. Priusaurus110

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That may be true about the Energys...Michelin rep I spoke to was looking for specific size tire for the Prius (185/65R15) and may only have been referring to that size when she told me they no longer produce them.

Glad to hear how well your Primacys handled in the rain. That has been my experience for more than 25 years of driving on Michelins. I've never been disappointed.

17. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    205/55R16 seems to be the smallest MXV4+ at Michelin.com. You had me concerened at first. I've run them on the 2000 Avalon XLS since new and love them. Avg ~40K/set.

18. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    why does the tire only last 40K miles? or is this considered good for a LRR tire?

19. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    40K is not an absolute and I honestly don't know if they're concidered LRR. That's what we're averaging on our MXV4+'s, on our 2000 Avalon XLS. It's a heavy car and driving conditions requires alot of stopping and starting on hills and twisting winding roads as well as Expressway rush hour type traffic here around metro Atlanta. The MXV4+'s have a 400 treadwear rating and we love the handling and traction. We have 108K miles on the Avalon and are on the third set of MXV4+'s. They have a tread depth of 10/32", when new. The current depth is 6/32". That's about 4/32" wear for the ~28k miles on this set. I don't like to go below 4/32" although 2/32" is still legal. I just personally feel that the loss of traction in wet road conditions is not worth the extra mileage. That gives me another 14K or puts me right around 122K or roughly 42K for this set. Extended mileage on current set is probably due to smarter driving habits, with help of SGII, and increased psi, now running 42/40psi. And I can assure you that the improvement in mileage, on my tires, that I have experienced, over the years since a was 25, has a lot more to do with mental additude than in tire improvements. Below is an example of why I get new tires @ 4/32" over 2/32". A matter a choice.
    Panic Stopping: How Much Tread Depth Do You Need?

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My MXV4+ tires went 55k miles and still had some life left in them but winter was coming. My Nokian WRs - now with 25k miles are less than 50% worn and are great tires (they even warn the blind for me - a little more noisy). See the attached MPG records to compare all three of the tires that I have had on my 2004 Prius. The Nokians have lower Rolling Resistance than any Michelin tires made today.

JeffD

Attached Files: