1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire light on my new/used 2022 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Arttillygirl, Aug 13, 2023.

1. Arttillygirl

Arttillygirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My light is going off but all tires are inflated to 40. Tire says psi51
    How can I tell if something is wrong?

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The number on the sidewall of the tire means nothing useful.

That vehicle likely has some warranty left. See a dealer.
    And while you are there, see about getting an owners manual.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the tpms may need resetting. see your o/m. we are talking gen 4, correct? not gen 5 like this forum?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The TPMS will light up for pressures above to high from the set point.

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The TPMS light should be OUT after briefly coming ON with the rest of the Warning Lights during the Power On sequence. So if it is ON, it is telling you something is wrong.

51 psi on the tire sidewall is the MAX COLD TIRE PRESSURE from the Tire manufacturer and is related to the MAX LOAD the tire is rated for. There should be a placard on the driver's door jam that gives Recommended Tire Pressures from Toyota. For my 2016 with 17-inch tires it says 33 psi front and 32 psi rear. Yours should be similar.

Probably the easiest thing to do is take your car to a tire shop and tell them the TPMS light is on. They will check and set the proper tire pressures and then deal with the light. It may be as simple as resetting the system in the car's settings. Or it may be that one of your tire sensors is malfunctioning and not communicating with the car properly. In that case, the tire shop will replace the sensor and get your system working again.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would think you're 2021 or 2022 car should not have bad tire sensors yet so more than likely it's seeing a tire that's going down or is overinflated. The tire shops today have a wand that they can wave over your tires and your car and it will tell them whether you have a bad sensor or if there's some other communication problem between your TPMS sensor and your car's system It's pretty simple they usually don't charge you for it or what have you until they need to replace a sensor and that sort of thing be wary of that because they can be costly or you can easily be overcharged for realize a set of four sensors from the manufacturer Pacific that made the sensors for most of the Prius are like $39 for a set of four not $40 a piece but you pay what you pay because you do googling can help you understand what is going on. The company that makes most of the TPMS sensors for your wheels along with the center caps is a company called Pacific your tire sensors that were made by them have green in the logo not red in the Pacific logo itself you want the green for your Prius generally speaking. If none of this is making any sense just go to the tire store pay the bill.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's just the battery getting old in the sensors... I have one sensor that works great around town, but after an hour or two on the freeway the battery won't work, then light goes away when I'm back in town.

Easiest fix is to figure out which tire it is and replace that sensor. Or just wait till you buy new tires and replace all the the sensors with new ones.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They're made by a company called Pacific they make the center caps for your wheels too if you flip your wheels over and look on the inside of the center cap it says Pacific so on eBay if you look up Pacific branded TPMS sensors you want the ones with the green in the logo not the red in the word Pacific look carefully what you'll be taking out are generally green label Pacific TPMS sensors. Last time I bought they were like $39.95 for a set of four

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Her car is only a year old.

Do you ever THINK before you start running off on a tangent ???
    It certainly doesn't look like it.

10. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I’ve got a ‘22. Check your actual tire pressures (should be set around 33 pounds each). If they are all pretty close to that you only need to reset the TPMS which is easy to do following the instructions in post #4. HIGHLY UNLIKELY there’s any other problem unless one of the tires are low. Just pump it back up and the alarm will clear.

11. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You'll need to take it back to the dealership you bought it from, to sort it out.

If the car has been in an accident, the pickup sensor or the tire sensor could be misaligned or damaged - causing an intermittent read or misread. If this is the case; PAY and independent shop to inspect the entire car, to see if there are any other surprises.

Hope this helps.....

12. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF.....it was obtained from a Toyota dealer, that would be a good option.

BUT as mentioned earlier, there is a HIGH pressure alarm too and
    just putting all of the pressures back down to the recommendation
    likely will eliminate the problem.

Certainly worth a try. And the ride likely will be a bit
    smoother too.

Doug McC likes this.
  13. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I run my 2021 Prime @ 40psi all the way around. Never recalibrated TPMS and pumped the tires back up after the free dealership oil changes and tire rotations. Only had the lamp come on, when I caught a nail in a tire.

14. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I run my 2021 Prime @ 40psi all the way around. Never recalibrated TPMS and pumped the tires back up after the free dealership oil changes and tire rotations. Only had the lamp come on, when I caught a nail in a tire.