1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire mounting, balancing and wheel alignment reccomendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tom1l21, Oct 20, 2009.

1. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just got my WR-G2's in the mail today and can't wait to get them installed. Where should I go, Town Fair Tire, Firestone, any recommendations?

I plan on getting them balanced, the wheels aligned, and the tires obviously mounted. What are the specs for the alignment and should I ask for rear wheel alignment as well? What would the typical price be to switch out my old tires and have the WR-G2's put on? Never had a car so this is all new to me. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    A related question: is alignment necessary if the car runs straight on the highway?

3. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I would think yes because if the rear wheels are not aligned properly, the car could still go straight but be chewing up one or both of the back wheels. This I am not sure of but is an assumption on my part.

4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know the shops in your area, but one that has a modern computerized wheel alignment rack should do fine. The rack should know the specs for your car (it has a database that is updated yearly). Around here, mounting and balancing is $15-20/tire. If your existing tires are in good shape, and the shop you use sells used tires, try to sell them your tires to offset some of the cost. And I agree - even if the car is driving straight, it is good to have an allignment prior to new tires (or when wear looks uneven on your existing tires).

5. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can the rear tires on the prius be aligned? Is it even possible if you have them do a "4-weel" alignment? I know that if it is not possible, they will probably still charge you for it anyways. I don't want to get screwed in that regard. What are the specs for the alignment anyways is it 0.5" toe in on both front tires?

6. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently got new tires and had a 4 wheel alignment done. They can at least adjust the rear tow, mine was out.
    I think it's worth the price of an alignment, especially with new tires to insure they don't immediately wear.
    My spec sheet from the alignment for each front wheel says plus or minus .10 degress for the tow; and plus or minus .20 deg. for the total front tow.

7. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A couple of days ago I got the standard crappy alignment at the dealer. Crappy in that they won't put the car right, only take it to within spec and what they're required to do. My rear camber/caster isn't right and the right front camber is barely in the spec range. When I get new tires (soon) I'll have a tire place do a better job.
    To the OP's situation, I used to live in CT. Got 4 new tires from Town Faire on my Honda Odyssey that weren't properly balanced and were 4lbs low on pressure out the door. They may be the primary chain up there, but be sure to check their work and take it back to get fixed if needed. And yes, get an alignment done. Read some of the other threads on alignment and shimming, be ready to push them in the right direction.

- D