1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tire noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bisco, Mar 26, 2010.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughter took my 04 to vermont for two years for grad school. while she was gone, she put 35,000 miles on the car for a total of 70,000. she put new tires on at 60,000 and was hit by a deer at 50,000. there was a lot of front end and right side damage to the tune of $5,000. i drove the car today for the first time since she left and there is a very load whirring/ drone, coming from the rear i think, it changes with speed and you can hear it as soon as you start driving. she doesn't notice it but i think it is much louder than my 08. the tires are nokian i3's. can it be tire noise? bearings? rear end? nothing else has been done to the car and it runs perfectly!
    thanks for your opinions!
    paul.

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take the snow chains off! ;-)

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this noise happens at low speed, I suggest you have someone drive the car in circles (for example, in an empty parking lot) while you stand outside the car. Maybe you can pin down where the noise is coming from, then you can decide whether the problem is a bad wheel bearing or not.

4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If something isn't stuck in the rear brakes or rubbing against the wheel a noise from the rear shouldn't be to difficult to track down, it's not a rear wheel drive car with a shaft spinning from the engine to the rear wheels, that car is ready for front wheel bearing replacement btw and noises can be relative...

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Prius wheel bearings don't always go bad. My 2004 is at 171,500 and the wheel bearings are fine (as are the brakes). The OPs problem is unlikely to be the tires as Nokian i3s don't tend to get noisy so a bad wheel bearing is one possibility.

Our Subaru at 227,000 miles has now lost it's 3rd wheel bearing so this does happen.

JeffD

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's exactly what it sounds like!:cool:

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks pat, i'll give it a try!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how did you determine which wheel?

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The most recent occurrence was last month. The sound seemed to be coming from the left rear and on the lift, you could feel the bad bearing as you spun the wheel in neutral. $350 dollars later ($450 at the Subaru dealer), no noise.

JeffD

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks jeff! i'll try lifting each side and see if i cann feel anything.

paul.

1 person likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    today, my daughter drove up and down the street while i walked alongside from slowly to as fast as i could run, along all four corners, with the engine off and on, i can hear nothing outside the car.

sitting inside the car under the same conditions, i hear a low rumble from slow on up. not much change with speed but it's definately a vibration that's being amplified inside. sitting in the rear with the seats up or down, it's hard to tell whether it's front or back.

i'll try jacking it up and spinning each tire. any more ideas? thanks!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jacked up the car today, rear wheels seemed nice and quiet and smooth. fronts had a little hiss like there is more turning than the wheel. axle? cv joint? nice and smooth though. guess i'm gonna have to take it in.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was the gear selector in N or in P? If in P, then when you are rotating one wheel, the other wheel is also rotating in the opposite direction.

Since you don't notice much noise when the wheels are unloaded, maybe a bearing is at fault and only makes noise when there's 750 lb of weight loading the bearing.

In any event you have a good idea about taking the car in so it can be checked out.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i tried turning it in park and couldn't, then realized the other tire was on the ground. put it in neutral and it seemed fine. you're probably right, it may be the weight of the car. she also got hit by a deer on the front right, about $5,000. in damage. maybe they missed something but i don't know if the noise started after that or before.

thanks patrick!

paul.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i found it! took my wife for a spin, she said "tires, right rear. couldn't see anything till i climbed underneath. between the middle of the tire and the inside edge, there is a small groove that runs around the tire like the bigger ones. at first, i thought it was fine because the was 3" of groove and 3" of flat spot. looked like it was designed that way it was so perfect. when i looked at the other side, the groove was continuous. when i took the tire off, it was a mess, high and low spots all the way around. car was much quieter with the spare on, although, not as quiet as my 08. i wonder if all the nokians are a little noisy. do you guys think the tire is defective, or something wrong with the car? thanks!
    paul.

16. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Busted cord in the tire, how many miles on it, if it's got more than 5000 you should replace the other one to, just to keep things in sync...Whom did you buy it from, check for warranter
    The car didn't do it to the tire

1 person likes this.
  17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great, better keep her around... :p
    Sounds like a defective tire, but let your tire store figure that one out. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    15,000 miles, my daughter bought them from a toyota dealer in burlington, vt. now she's back in boston. will do both. thanks!

19. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had the same basic thing happen in the rear, but when rotating tires they all got that way. First I blamed the tire, but then after replacing the tires and not rotating on purpose, I saw the rear tires flatspot in the most weird pattern ever and made a lot of noise.

These tires were very well balanced, so it was a mystery, until I took the wheel off to clean and inspect the tire. I turned the rear hub and felt 3 distinct grabs. The driver's rear hub only grabbed in a couple of places and was almost imperceptible, thus less flat spotting on that tire.

I surmised that it had to be bad bearings. Local Toyota shop said no. And they could not reproduce what I felt as the hubs were turned. After I got the Prius back it was time to get the new snow tires on, (on my 15 inch OE wheels) and this time I could not feel the slight increase in friction as I turned the hubs.

I would suggest you see if that hub is turning smoothly by hand. After I put the snows on, I've made it a habit to back up in a straight line and apply the brakes smoothly to a stop, once a week or so. Like the "old" days, adjusting the brakes. So far my snows haven't developed flat spots. New Summer tires go on my 16" wheels Wednesday.

I did get an alignment at the Toyota shop and they even shimmed the rears. That was just before I put the snow tires on at the beginning of Winter.

Just an idea to follow up on. Good luck!

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    32 years, she's a keeper! thanks for all your help pat!:)