1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressue gauge works

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AlphaTeam, Jan 19, 2006.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yesterday on the way home from work. Pressure light came on...get home check it out. I hear a SSSSSsssss. Great..I see a staple in the tire. I quickly drive to my usual tire shop. "That is too close to the edge it is unrepairable". "So for $85 and 30 minutes you can be back on the road". 1st payment is just due...yuppie!!!

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well that's good to hear (about it working, not about the flat...). I've started to wonder after reading some posts about people switching wheels and not having he light come on for 30-40 miles, or ever at times. Maybe the system is sometimes disabling the system automatically when the sensors all vanish.

3. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mine was down to 10 PSI when I got home. I don't know what it was when I first noticed though.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know the 06s don't have the Roadside Assistance package, but do they also not have the Road Hazard Warrantee? On an 04/05 you would get the new tire (or tire and wheel if the wheel is damaged) for free.

They reimbursed me for repair on the one flat I've had.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I called Toyota before I told them to go ahead with it and they said no it was not covered.

6. augustson

augustson New Member

My '06 came with Roadside Assistance. It was mentioned in one of the little mini-guides that came with my car AND I confirmed it with the dealer. He said all of the '06 Prius models came with it.

7. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hmm. I read a great post here a while back that described how the TPMS works - something about monitoring the rotation of each wheel and comparing them to each other - if one wheel is lower pressure than the other at the same end of the vehicle, it will rotate faster because it's effective radius to the ground is smaller and will operate as though it has a smaller diameter. I speculate that if there's no sensor on the wheels, the TPMS is waiting for wheel rotation "clicks" that never happen and so the wheels are still technically "in sync" and therefor considered equally pressured.
    I imagine one of the main reasons that Toyota put the system in the first place is to help address too many claims of lower than expected fuel economy. e.g., Tires inflated to 28psi might look fine from the outside, but once a driver is in the seat weighting down one side of the car, the weight would be enough to trigger the TPMS's warning light

AlphaTeam - are you guys aren't in NYC are you? I was blown away last year with a flat there that there are "fix a flat" places all over Brooklyn - but they're ususally a lot cheaper and quicker than your experience.... $35 for a "new" truck tire :)

Dang, I can't wait till the weekend when I get my Prius!
    Dave

8. gbgirl79

gbgirl79 New Member

One thing Ive learned throughout the week of owning my Prius is that half the dealership people have NO CLUE what is going on in regards to the Prius and will lie to you just to get you off the phone.

I was told i do not have Roadside Assistance, by the Roadside Assistance people. So I know it is true. But I do have a tire warranty and a pamphlet which was included with my booklets, so you should have some kind of coverage I would beleive. But if you just ran over a nail on the highway, alot of the times they wont pay for something like that.

9. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The place I went to in Grand Rapids, Michigan is the place I've been going to for years, Discount Tire Compnay. They have always done good by me and they said it could not be fixed. And if they did it would not last long.

I called Road Side assistance and they said no even though it came in my packet. I called the dealer and he called Toyota and they said no to it also.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

that was my post, and it was describing the OTHER toyota TPMS system, the one that's on every other car that has the system, but they decided to put the truck system on the prius. :huh:

the prius has sensors in the valve stems.

11. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Nope. Old news. The '06 actually has little pressure sensors in each wheel. They radio back the pressure of each tire to the system. The rotation system has some drawbacks and Toyota did not use it on the '06 Prius.

12. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Wait, you have a road hazard warrantee pamphlet in the car when you bought it, and they say you have no road hazard coverage?

I'd call your consumer affairs department and then look into small claims court.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    this is an indicator i should go back and edit an FYI tag on the top of that post. hmm.

14. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Cool! :) Thanks for the info. So, can you actually see what the pressures are on the MFD?

Dave

15. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No no pressure on the MFD

16. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good call. I just called them and they are "going to get back to me". So we will see, but I don't want to let it rest. The salesman did offer it as a selling point and hype it BEFORE I purchased it.

17. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Page 29 of the 2006 Pocket Reference Guide says:

24-Hour Roadside Assistance
    Complimentary Roadside Assistance for
    3 years/36,000 miles. Ask your dealer for details.
    Prius 24-Hour Roadside Assistance includes:
    Towing for mechanical breakdown and jump start
    12V battery only
    Toll-free number, 24-hours, 7 days a week
    Lockout protection
    Flat tire changes
    Fluid delivery
    Road hazard
    Concierge service
    Mechanical first aid
    Toyota Prius Roadside Assistance
    1-877-304-6495

18. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"Roadside Assistance" and "Road Hazard Coverage" are two different things.

The former has apaprently been discontinued for 2006. It covered all types of breakdowns, not just tires.

The latter is a tire warrantee only, and I have not heard about it being discontinued. This is what should have gotten you a new tire (perhaps prorated--check the fine print for details).

These should have two separate pamphlets.

19. akrca4

akrca4 Junior Member

Is Tire Pressure Monitoring system standard on all model of Prius? I have package#1 by have the TPM reset button under my steering column.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    TPMS is now required by the Feds on all 06 and newer cars.