1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure and Cold Temp

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bravery, Nov 3, 2006.

1. bravery

bravery New Member

Since it has starting getting colder here my tire pressure light is on when I first start my car in the morning. Then in about 15 minutes it goes off. Is it normal for the tire pressure to be low due to colder tempures or do I need to get my sensors checked?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tire pressure will drop about 1psi for every 10 degree temp drop. It's certainly possible that one or all are lower than the threshold for the TPMS, then when the tires warm with driving the sensor goes off.

I'd check the cold temp pressures to see where you are. Good idea to juice them up to whatever pressure you're comfortable with to do what you can to minimize the cold weather MPG hit.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I check mine first thing in the morning when they're cold. I keep them at 42-40. When it first turned cold here, my light come on as well. Just check 'em at least once a week, best time, IMO, is in the morning before you have driven anywhere. :lol:

Good Friday to all...... :D :D

4. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I've just had that happen here in Florida with the first "cold" weather. I guess the tires were right on the border of turning on the light.

It did turn out that the pressure was about 28 psi, which is about 20% lower than the 35 psi called for in the front tires. So I guess the system is working as it should. Also, the light never went off, even driving for about 9 miles.

I did refill them to the 41 psi, 39 psi that people recommend.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bravery @ Nov 3 2006, 06:25 AM) [snapback]343101[/snapback]</div>
    Your PSI has likely been well below the recommended minimum (35/33) for quite some time now... which acclerates tire wear, lowers MPG, and increases the likelihood of an accident.

The cold caused the threshold to be exceeded, hence the light coming on. It shuts off after the air inside warms up, but your tires are still in need of air right away.

This is one benefit of running higher PSI routinely. Forgetting to check often enough is a very common problem. More air available from the start helps.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    don't check your sensors before you check your tire pressure!

tires warm up as you drive, hence the light going off. sounds like you're right on the edge of the warning threshold. check your tire pressures, inflate accordingly, and reset your tpms. good time to check your spare tire pressure as well. seasonal changes bring about tire pressure changes.

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 3 2006, 03:23 PM) [snapback]343421[/snapback]</div>

Excellent suggestion Galaxee!! I had not even thought about the spare!! B)