1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure gauges

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenGuy33, Dec 23, 2009.

1. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How much can a cheap tire pressure gauge be off? Does it make sense to invest in a more expensive digital gauge or should my cheap $5 gauge be fine?

If it does make a difference, what do you recommend?

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Digital gauges can be just as wrong as an analog device. I wouldn't go the the cheapest either; you get what you pay for. My gauge is about 45 years old and cost $4 when new from the NAPA store that serviced my dad's service station. He bought it for me when he thought I might stay in the business with him.

1 person likes this.
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One purported problem with digital gauges is that they are more likely to have their accuracy affected by cold weather.

A lot of us like the Accu-Gage line of analog gauges. You can get a good one for as little as $10.

If you get one, try to get one with 1 (or at most 2) psi increments, and get one where the mid-range psi is closest to the psi that you normally fill your tires. Personally, I use one that measures up to 60 psi.

Here's a very recent thread about tire gauges:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ecommendations-great-tire-pressure-gauge.html

1 person likes this.
  4. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like the digital Accutire brand. They make all sorts of models but I tend to think the insides are all the same. They have them seasonally at costco for $10. Probably the same ones they sell at Griot's garage for $50. I like them because they self calibrate every time they turn on for altitude and temperature doesn't seem to effect them like an analog gauge does. Pretty accurate as well, at least in my experience, when comparing it to the TPMS on my cars that give an individual read out. You can get them at amazon.com.

1 person likes this.
  5. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Being blind, my Tire Pressure Guage of choice is one that talks, it's the Accu Guage Programmable Talking Tire Guage MS-4445B.:)

The guage gives readings in pressures from 5lbs. to 100lbs. and is calibrated in increments of .5lb. and is programmable to remember both Front and Rear Tire Pressures.

It also has a lighted tip and hard Storage Case. One of its nicer features is its LARGE LED screen (for those of us getting a little older, and suffering from a dose of Presbeopia).

One of the Reviews on google said "Why would anyone want a tire pressure guage that talked?", there advantages are many, you can check your tires in a darkened garage or some dark country road, you don't have to look directly at the screen to get your reading...and it's just really COOL!!!

It's ONLY weakness is its difficulty getting a good seal on the valve stem, however, if you insure a good 90 degree fit on the stem, its accuracy is EXTREMELY good.

It's avaiilable on amazon.com for around $20, and the 9 users who responded gave it an average rating of 4.0 out of 5.0!

David (aka Blind Guy)

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I recommend...trying a search--it's been discussed before. ;)

I've used Accu-Gage for years. $10 or $15.