1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tire pressure light and gas-line antifreeze

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gogreen!, Dec 21, 2008.

1. gogreen!

gogreen! New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am away from home for 6 months and away from my brand new Prius! I have asked my husband to take it for a drive every once in a while. He tells me today he took it out and the car "was not working well". Weather has been quite cold dowm home so he says he stopped at a gas station and bought one of those bottles of gas-line antifreeze and poured it in the gas tank. He also filled the gas tank. He says it is working fine now. Is this gas-line antifreeze stuff safe to put in a hybrid?

Other question, he also says there is a light in my dash on that looks like this: (!) He says he checked the book and it's the tire pressure sensor. He tells me the book says if this light is blinking, tire pressure is low but if the light is not blinking (just on) you need to bring the car for service. he tells me the light is on but not blinking but given the cold temprature, I imagine tire pressure has dropped and all we would need to do is check tire pressure and reset the light with the little button under stearing wheel, right???

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1. Gas anti-freeze shouldn't hurt anything as long as you follow directions and don't use too much. IIRC, it is alcohol that will combine with any water in the tank.

2. When my tires got too low, the ! light came on continuously and did not flash.

3. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the pressure in one or more tires is actually low, inflation alone will clear the light. You only need to use the reset function if you're changing the set pressure.