1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Alan'sRedPrius, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Alan'sRedPrius

Alan'sRedPrius New Member

Just took delivery of our '06 Barcelona Red Prius, #6, a couple of weekends ago and as I have been reading the owner's manual , I realized that I don't know and the manual doesn't say where the tire pressure monitor is. Is it a small transmitter inside the tire or in the valve stem, and does it have to be replaced each time a tire is replaced or fixed? Also, does it have to be done by Toyota Service?
    I lurked here and other websites gleaning what info I could before buying. We rented a Prius before deciding to buy and are very happy with it :) .

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    here's a thread that may help:

priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15228
    short answer:

1. integrated with the valvestem
    2. no, they last around 10 years
    3. yes, requires toyota scantool

glad ya like the new car :D

3. Alan'sRedPrius

Alan'sRedPrius New Member

Thanks Galaxee for the short answer and the link to the thread. Will tire dealers need to be told about the valve stems or will they know what they are when I get new tires and/or a tire fixed? We are still happily learning lots about our Prius. :)

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    probably want to let them know about the sensors. they can damage them if they're not aware.