1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Monitor, where is the sensor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DocVijay, Dec 9, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Just wondering if anyone knows where the sensors are in the new TPMS. Are they in the valve stems, or are they mounted on the wheel itself.

I'm installing some 17" wheels and tires on my '06, and need to see what to do to keep the system functioning. I imagine it's the valve stems, so it shouldn't be too hard to swap them out. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [EDIT: FYI, THIS IS THE OTHER SYSTEM TOYOTA USES. THIS SYSTEM IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT USED ON THE PRIUS. JUST TO CLEAR UP ANY CONFUSION. READ ON IF YOU LIKE.]

none of the above.

TPM works through the ABS system, counting the revolutions of each wheel and checks it against a stored vaule. if there's a change that persists for more than a minute or so, it alerts you.

handy info for when you do this:

there are 2 ways to reset the system. one is a reset: used when you add air to a tire or if you take one single tire off for say a tire repair. when the light is on, you press and hold the tire button until the light goes out. however, when rotating or replacing tires, the system has to be reinitialized. after the reset procedure, press and hold the tire button again. the light will blink 3x and go out. then the car has to be driven about 45-50 miles for the computer to re-learn the new vaules. you have to do it when you rotate your tires because of the difference in tire wear.

that's how all the toyota cars work.

the trucks work using a sensor in the valvestem. you can tell those because the valvestems are metal, not the regular rubber. there is no reset button for those.

there's a bunch of extra stuff you didn't expect to hear :) but i hope it's helpful. once i get hubby talking he just goes on :lol:

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

No, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. After I read your post, I remembered hearing something about that. It's actually much better for me that way. Now I can just put the new wheels on, reinitialize, and I'm done.

Wonderful news. Thanks!

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

This is to confirm that the Prius DOES have a sensor valve in each wheel. I just downloaded the info from Toyota Techinfo. In order to keep the TPMS functionality you would have to remove the sensors from the factory wheels and have them installed into your new wheels. Keeping the sensors in the original corner tehy came fromisn't critical as that will be reset later. Then once that is done and they are mounted, you would then perform the system reset as described in the manual. You would have to do the system reset after rotating the tires also, so that says sensor locatin is not imperative.

I printed out the removal and installation procedure and printed it out. I may take the wheels to Toyota to have this done, or I may just have my local garage do it.

5. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

I have detailed pics from the owners manual on this system.

I can email them to you guys but they are 1.7MB-2.XMB in size so can't post them here (5MB limit right?).

Just PM me with your email if you'd like.

My Sienna has the "old" system and looks like the 06 Prius has the "new" system.
    When looking at my Prius today (it's at my dealer 50 miles away), I did see what looked to be some metal along with the rubber on the valve stem.

And, the manual (thought about snagging it and taking it home ;) , does say it's equiped with a digital sensor/transmitter "that complies with" blah blah, blah, some laws.

Aaron

6. Jim06

Jim06 Member

I'm picking up our '06 Prius in about 2 weeks. I've been shopping for snow tires and winter wheels. This issue with sensors for TPMS has me confused.

Are there any restrictions on the type of winter wheel or snow tire because of TPMS?

Will the local tire shop be able to do the work, or will it take someone more knowledgable to deal with the sensors?

Do I need to move the sensors, or could they just be left on the stock wheels for non-winter use? Would that be a waste?

Can a person purchase an additional set of sensors for winter wheels? Would that be ridiculously expensive?

Thanks for the feedback!
    -Jim

7. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

Yikes, I think you may be in for a long haul on this issue Jack06.

When you get the pics I just sent ya, you'll see that there are a lot of things that will cause the system to not work, even at all.

Good luck!

Aaron

8. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Galaxee,

I do not believe this is correct. Each wheel has a TPS that transmits the pressure to a receiver.

I am about to buy new wheels and winter tires... and I will be ordering 4 sensors as well. I have no idea how much they cost yet.

/Jim

9. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

I believe galaxee is correct on the older systems because my Sienna has that. And, the new system has a digital sensor/transmitter.

In each valve stem.

10. Jim06

Jim06 Member

Aaron,

Thanks for the pics. The material was very interestng and helped to fill in some of the blanks. I guess I still have the same basic questions though, plus a few more:

Are there any restrictions on the type of winter wheel or snow tire because of TPMS?

Will the local tire shop be able to do the work, or will it take someone more knowledgable to deal with the sensors?

Do I need to move the sensors each fall and spring, or could they just be left on the stock wheels for non-winter use? Would that be a waste?

Can a person purchase an additional set of sensors for winter wheels? Would that be ridiculously expensive? Is "registering" them with the TPMS controller something only the dealer could do? Can you have all 8 "registered" with the system, or would you need to reprogram the controller each fall and spring?

I have to call the service manager at the dealer today, so I think I'm going to see what he has to say.

Thanks again,
    -Jim

11. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

You're welcome Jack06.

Good luck with getting your answers as I don't have a clue for ya!

Aaron

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yes, i stand corrected. previously, toyota had only put the valve stem sensors in their truck lines and we based our assumption on that.

this is the first car line that has the valve stem sensors.

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, I'm going to attempt to answer all your questions based on what I read at Techinfo.

Each wheel has a valve mounted sensor. It's a littel box on the end of the valve inside the wheel. To remove it you need to unscrew teh nut on the outside of th wheel. THey say to just let it fall into the wheel. Then peel the bead back off the wheel in one spot an dfish out the valve and sensor. That's it for removal. To install it's simply the opposite. You must once again expost the inside of the wheel where the valve goes. Then thread the valve through and fix in place with the nut. Reseat the tire and balance.

OK, now for the technical stuff...

Each sensor has a 7-digit ID# that is registered with the system's receiver. There is a setup procedure to register each sensor. Once they are registered it doesn't matter which location the sensor is at. If you replace a sensor, then it must be registered with the receiver before it will work.

I imagine that if you wanted two sets of tires (i.e. winter and summer) then the easiest would be to have two sets of sensors, one in each wheel. When yo swap wheels, you would have to register each set of sensors. Bad news is that I think this would have to be done by Toyota. My tip is to write down the ID#'s of each set and keep it in your glovebox and that way it's not necessary to open up the wheels each time to get the ID#'s.

If you are simply switching to an aftermarket set of wheels, I imagine you could just swap the valves/sensors and then just initialize the system. The same sensors would be there, so it would be unecessary to register them again. Then once you get them installed, just reinitialize the system so it can reset to the new tire pressures and you should be done. This should be easy enough for any competent tire shop.

This is just my take based on what I read. Hopefully it's that easy. I'm going to try and get it done at a garage just near my house. It should be easy to remove the sensors and then mount them in the new tires. The only bad part is that the wheels would need to be balanced again. That really sucks as both sets are currently balanced already... Oh well. Hopefully though, once the valves are swapped and the wheels balanced, the initializing should be pretty easy and then it's done for good.

EDIT: According to what I've read, the actual tire pressure would show up on CAN, so with the CAN-VIEW you could get the real numbers...

14. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, that fact alone would make CAN-VIEW worth it to me.

15. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

What is "CAN-VIEW"?

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

It's basically the system used to monitor all the cars data. Someone built an interface so you can see the REAL information on the MFD.
    Read here:

http://priuschat.com/CAN-VIEW-Recovered-t11644.html

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Question: is the "resetting" of the tire sensors -- i.e., when air is added to a tire, or the tires are rotated -- the same under the 2006 Prius, as it was in the older Toyota sensors?

I.e., are Galaxee's instructions for resetting the tires still valid?

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that's only for the ABS based system. it will be different. i can get DH to explain those if someone doesn't post info by tonight.

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

To reset the system, you need to push the TPMS switch for three seconds while the power is on. THen wait for the light to flash three times and you're done. Pushing the buttin while driving won't do anything.

20. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks Doc!