1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure Monitoring Sytem- am i being ripped off?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by seafoam, May 22, 2012.

1. seafoam

seafoam New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I recently purchased a 2008 Prius (package 6, I think, fully loaded) with 44k miles for 14,500.

I just took it into a dealer to get a once-over, because the tire pressure light was on. The private seller I purchased it from said he had been in one rear-end collision (Carfax confirms this) and that the light had been on since but was not necessary to fix.

The dealer said the car was in great shape except for the "tire pressure monitoring system" needed to be replaced and that some sort of computer related to this was missing (forgive me, I am car illiterate). He assured me that this electrical component was VITAL to the overall performance of the car and would negatively affect the vehicle if it was not replaced. He quoted the repair at $1,402.90!

Now, seeing as this is only something for monitoring air pressure I am obviously quite concerned to shell out that kind of money to do something I can monitor myself. What exactly does this system do, should I replace it, and if so, am I being ripped off?

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you check the reset button under the steering column? H

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The TPMS is NOT "vital" for the car to operate. In fact, if said "missing" item was "vital" wouldn't it have cause a real problem by now? The TPMS just monitors the tire pressure, and when functioning properly, displays a light when there is either low pressure or a monitor malfunction. Simply put, it sounds to me like you're being ripped off beyond belief. Why does the dealer feel as though you need at this work done? What did they display as a trouble code?

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He has a boat payment due.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Go see Josh Mellor in West Melbourne, mellor's automotive -- er, well, call down there first and see if they are willing to source a salvage component to install.

6. seafoam

seafoam New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it does not seem to do anything.

7. seafoam

seafoam New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm quite sure he said this because I am a young female without a clue about the inner-workings of my new car. Unfortunately for him, I do have enough sense to ask around first. He also added in that because a few filters were "missing" that it could be an indicator of "other things going wrong." I'm not sure what the code is- is that something I should ask for in writing when I pick the car up today?

8. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure what filters could be missing,but you may want to check the climate control filter that is located behind the lower glove compartment door. I would also insure that the air filter for the ICE [Engine] is fairly good shape. A good parts person will check these items for you. You may want to check the Dealer seilerts mentioned if it is not to far away.Prius a a very reliable auto, so I would not worry much about it. Did the old owner have it serviced at a Toyota dealer? You can also have a print out from Toyota printed for you. This will show the maintenance that has been performed on your car. Good luck and I am sure someone will give you a hand sorting everything out on your new Prius. H

9. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seafoam - In all of this you have at least learned one thing - the dealer that you went to is not to be trusted.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hi seafoam. you may be a young female, ignorant of all things cars, but it sounds like you're on top of things. good for you. spend time here and see if there is anyone in your circle who can help you as well. i'm an old man who knows as much about tpms as you do. if it were me, i would get more opinions. perhaps it isn't necessary at all. and if it is, do some shopping for better price and perhaps salvage unit as seilerts says. as to the filters, i would want to know which ones are missing and replace them sooner than later. all the best!

1 person likes this.