1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire PRessure Reset Switch? Where is it?? (2006 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gonzo, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Junior Member

Hey gang. The manual refers (on page 151) to a Tire Pressure Reset Switch. On other Toyota vehicles, this can be used to allow you to change warning system so that it will warn you for whatever you decide is the "optimal" tire pressure for your vehicle. I would expect that it works the same way for the Prius.

In my case, I recently turned off the annoying beep-beep in Reverse, and then I noticed the tire pressure warning light came on. I filled (mostly verified) my tires to the recommended pressure (35 psi front and 33 psi rear), and the light has remained on. Rather than take it into my service guys (a bit of a drive as I live somewhat in the boonies) who will likely just use the reset switch anyhow, I figured I could just reset it myself.

I'm also thinking about running the tires at a higher pressure for better mileage, so it would be helpful to be able to reset it for that case as well.

So, any information on the location of this switch and the proper use/procedure for resetting the warning system would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

=Ed =

2. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I recall that the reset procedure is described somewhere else in the manual...maybe by the tire change info. It was hard for me to find the first time around; I don't think the index had it.

rpm

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The reset button is below the steering wheel, next to the SKS button. it says "SET". to reset the tire pressures, you have to hold it for a certain amount of time (something like 5-10 seconds, i believe). you'll see the warning light flash etc before its finished resetting.

4. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 5 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]328562[/snapback]</div>
    Hold the button down until the warning light flashes three times. It is the warning light which looks like a the cross section of a tire with an ! in the middle.

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Junior Member

Thanks guys!

When I drove the car on the highway for about 1/2 hour the light turned off on its own, but it's good to know where the switch is now! As I said, I may end up changing my default tire pressure to something like 38/36 to tire to improve my mileage a bit. Mountain driving is not conducive to good gas mileage ;)

= Ed =

6. theorist

theorist Member

The TPMS light is supposed to come on when the pressure in any tire falls 25% below what it was at when you last used the reset button. If a tire is at 32 psi when you use the reset button, the TPMS warning should light when the tire falls to 24 psi. On the other hand, if a your tires are at 44psi, even temporarily, when you reset the TPMS, then the warning will light when a tire falls to 33psi. If you feel that the TPMS is too lax, use the button to reset it while your tires are inflated to a higher pressure, even if only temporarily.

As your tires leak, you are likely to find that the TPMS warning lights up in the morning but turns off as you drive, the tires warm, and the tire pressures increase temporarily. I believe the manual also tells us to leave the car on, but parked, while and for a few minutes after resetting the TPMS.

7. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Oct 6 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]328947[/snapback]</div>
    I was under the impression that it essentially had a "fixed value" after a reset - That it took whatever pressure was 25% lower than the pressure at reset and warned when it hit there. so if it was reset at 32 then you increased the presure to 40 without pressing reset, it would only warn you at tghe original 25% (being 24). What you described seems more like it sets a pressure (being 32), then if you increase it it will increase that pressure as well, and only trigger if the tire pressure drops below whatever 25% of the highest value since the last reset was. Which way is it?

8. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is also a tire calibration that is supposed to be used after a tire change. The is accesssed through the MFD. To be honest, I'm not sure how the two are used in conjunction with each other. Anybody know for sure?
    ( By the way I'm at my office, over lunch, and do not have my manual with me. If the answer to this is readily available- I'm sorry)

9. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 6 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]328977[/snapback]</div>
    Then it's good that I'm not a technical writer. Thank you for clarifying.

10. prez1

prez1 New Member

11. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 5 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]328562[/snapback]</div>
    What is the SKS Button?

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The SKS button turns on/off the SKS features of the car, for those of us with them. SKS is the feature taht allows "keyless" access, where you can unlock the doors and start the car without touching the key in your pocket.

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 9 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]330172[/snapback]</div>
    I know what it is but what is SKS? Smart Key _________? I did a search and I found SKS links, but nobody will spell it out. I just call mine a FOB and I don't know what that is either. :(

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would guess that SKS = smart key system?

A fob, according to Wikipedia, "is a medallion used to identify a key ring or used as a starting place on a ring, frequently given as an advertising item."

In the context used on this site (and elsewhere), a fob is the "clicker" that most new cars come with. for the Prius, it's the key, since we don't have a seperate key and clicker.

so you can think of the fob as the thing you stick on your key right, and SKS as the system that utilizes the fob wirelessly to determine if you are an authorized driver of the vehicle.

15. srzbae

srzbae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A