1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure sensor died

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Freedom, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One tire pressure sensor on Carmine, my 2008 Prius, has died. The light flashes for a bit, then stays on. Tire pressure is fine.

Called local Toyota dealer, he said they have Toyota brand they also have after market brand which costs less but is still good. $245 installed. And he warned that given the age of the vehicle, the other 3 are likely going to die soon (2 to 5 years, he figures).

Or I can just ignore it, leave the light on. He said the annual car inspection won't be a problem.

My concern is, I have this habit of finding each and every nail out there, I have to replace a tire at least once annually. I rely on the light to tell me I have an issue, then I get to a safe place quickly rather than having to stop on the side of the road. (Yes, I have AAA; last 2 times I came home, and let them change to the donut spare right in my driveway. This cost me 2 brand new Nokian tires, earlier this year. As I said, with me this is a given it WILL happen. I know people go years without getting a flat, I do it regularly.)

Is it worth calling a car repair - not Toyota dealership - to find a lower price?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy a wireless device for less than $30 to monitor tire pressure via the valve caps and help us starve the stealerships to death so they can no longer steal. That way you just wait till you get new tires, or in your case have replaced all four tires in next four years.

Freedom likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A car repair shop? No. Take it to a tire shop instead, they should have a much more reasonable price.

Brian1954 and Freedom like this.
  4. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK thank you both. Did not know about that system, just found one on Amazon.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Wireless Solar TPMS, Tire Pressure Monitor Installed on Windowshield with 4 External Sensors Real-time Display Temperature Pressure 22-87 PSI for Car RV SUV MPV Sedan

$40.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One vote for that. (y)

6. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Called a few places, got it done today, under $100. Thank you!

bisco and fuzzy1 like this.
  7. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Walmart does it.
    $45 for a new sensor, installed and programmed.

8. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And then get another new one in 1 year.

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or not... I've had a single bad tire pressure sensor in my Gen3 wheels on my Gen2 Prius for more than a year and it is still intermittent and only comes on during long drives, then goes away after the long drive. Maybe I'll go for 2 years?