1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire pressure sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mssmith95, Jun 3, 2006.

1. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So thursday I am leaving downtown LA and notice the tire pressure sensor is on!

I briefly stop to take a look and sure enough, the left rear is slightly low.

I was able to travel a little further and find a repair shop. Good thing because I was heading to Long Beach (around a 40 minute drive) and who knows how much damage I could have done to that tire if I had traveled that far at freeway speeds.

Turns out it had a nail in it...$10 repair.

So a big "thumbs up" to Toyota for that great addition to our cars! Just another little reason to get a Prius over say a Corolla!

2. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was driving on I-95 last weekend and a fist-sized rock rolled into my path. I swerved but still just caught it with my right rear tire. Then I saw that the tire pressure warning light had come on, so I pulled over and sure enough, it was flat. Damn, I hate donut spares too (my '02 Camry had a full-sized one, so did the '95 Explorer before that, I used to put a full-sized one in my old '88 Nova (was really a Corolla) - that one came with a donut but you could fitt a full-sized spare).

The odd thing was that when I had the tire replaced (it had a chunk taken out of the sidewall) I called before I went to pick it up to tell the service department I wanted the tires set to F42/R40 PSI, and they said you can't do that or the sensors won't work since they all have to be the same pressure. I set mine higher the first day I had it and initialized with the switch, and had never heard anything like what they said to me. Of course after I picked it up and got back to work I looked at the door jamb, and the front and rear recommended settings are not the same!! *rolls eyes*

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik Tkal @ Jun 3 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]265323[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, they obviously did not know what they were talking about! If all of the pressures had to be the same and were tied together, then when you got a flat on one, the system would not work. I am sure that the system actually identifies which tire is low, but unfortunately, Toyota did not load that into what we can see (I bet they can run a diagnostic and see it though).