1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Pressure WInter / Summer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gazz, Apr 22, 2008.

1. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the weather warming up my mpg has started rising. What I have noticed is that with the warmer weather I am now getting a higher warm tire pressure (and the car will glide further). My front cold tire pressure is 42psi and yesterday after driving 10 miles at 12C the pressure was at 46psi. In the winter I do not get a tire pressure increase, therefore if the "real pressure" in the summer is actually 46psi+ should this not be the cold pressure in the winter.

In short does anybody compensate for different tire pressure increase depending on different ambient temperatures.

Thanks

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would tend to agree with you, I think in winter weather that you may lose quite a bit of traction with over inflated tires though so its best to find what works and is SAFE for you. That being said I have mine inflated at 46fr 44 rear (checked them hot the other day and all 4 read in the 50 -51 range) but its made quite a difference.

3. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wounder how this all stacks up with the maximum tire pressure on the side wall, mine is 44 but it obviously goes higher in the summer.