1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire PRESSURE

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by WWJD08, Aug 7, 2008.

1. WWJD08

WWJD08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :eek:I've Read all the posts and put my tires at 44/42 My milage dropped, the road noise is more noticeable, plus the bumpier ride.:eek:
    So whats next:rolleyes:
    I was going to try backing off 2 psi at a time.

2. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's a good call, and that's what I did also. I'm now at 38/36, and pretty happy. I may go down 1 more psi just to see if I notice the difference. :D

... Brad

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is almost certainly not related to tire pressure. Softer for a better ride is a tradeoff for efficiency.

Those hypermilers who recommend PSI beyond the maximum have proven the improvement. And our data shows at the maximum offers a benefit, just not as much.

I suggest collecting more data. It takes a few tanks before you truly get a feel for MPG, due to the many other influencing factors at play.

4. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The higher the tire pressure, the lower the rolling resistance. Like everything, there is a point of diminishing returns, but the resistance should not increase. Maybe your fuel blend changed?

5. WWJD08

WWJD08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :glare: 46.9 mpg . 2,016 mileage
    44/42tire pressure= noisy and bumpy ride:mad:
    :cool: lowered tire pressure to 42/40:glare:

6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    42/40 is what I have used for a while now. usually sitting around 50mpg at lowest end and around 53-55 avg high end. I drive 90% highway at 60-65mph.

7. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I worked in a tire store as a youth and learned to always run my tires at their maximum pressure for tire wear purposes. I suppose that I have gotten used to the harsher ride associated with "hard" tires. My touring model allows 51 PSI - and I take it up to the max. I am averaging 56 MPG and think that the tire pressure helps me to some degree. Plus the tire wear advantage.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am not gong to tell you to over-inflate your tires. In fact, I was bashed in the Chicago Sun Times for making such suggestions. So what you do with your car, your money, and your property is entirely up to you. That should satisfy my lawyer.

If you click the "Current Mileage" link in my signature you'll see my lifetime chart. I originally over-inflated my tired in August of '06. You will notice a very discernible departure between the temp/mileage lines at that time. In fact, that one point in time is the only time I have ever seen two consecutive tanks go opposite the temperature. Even as the temperature went down, my mileage went up.

It is my experience that over-inflating my tires has improved my mileage.

9. [H]ackerK

[H]ackerK Geek

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On somewhat related topic. My original tires were under inflated when delivery (33/32) Now I have 38/36, not sure if there any improvements on MPG yet. But I do notice the control of the car is slightly different (esp on rainy day!)

It could be the lower rolling resistance, I found Prius handling is not as good as the cars I have driven before. Not sure how to describe, but it seems more sensitive or maybe I should say it is less wanted to stay on the road.

I am just a bit worry during winter... Not sure how's the handling is like...

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you aren't happy with the car's performance then lower the tp. I'm not going above 45 on the Integrities because I'm not fond of the handling.

11. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I like the many others here run at 48/46 year round and I think my worst tank has been 55MPG since upping the tire pressure.

12. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your records are fantastic! I'm up here North of Chicago as well and am just getting ready to change Oil and Rotate tires today as I'm at just a hair under 10k (95xx miles) and want to get it taken care of while first off it's nice out and second I'll have it out of the way.

Keep up the great record keeping.

Just for the record, I keep my tire pressure at 48/46 and have been averaging 55-63 MPG.

13. dianedh

dianedh New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a newbie, as of May 1st. Just purchased a 2009 that supposedly was special order, but the person didn't purchase. Instead of the standard 15 inch alloy wheels and tires, it came with 17 inch EFPC wheels with Pirelli tires. I like the look, but after reading a few posts since Friday, I feel uneasy. Anyone have much experience with these specific tires? What is the best pressure?

I replaced a 2000 Honda Odessey with 211,313 miles with the Prius, and so far have enjoyed the "big" feel of the car, but am anxious to learn the best way to get longevity.

Thanks for feedback.

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on the model they could be great tires. Perreli's usually are and they are usually expensive to boot. Don't expect to get the same milage that people with stock Prius tires and rims get though. :(

15. ann13820

ann13820 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can I overinflate the pressure on any kind of tire? We've been running Blizzaks this winter and were ready to put on the non-winter tires, but looked at the tread. We decided that we didn't want to start next winter with the current tread and plan to just keep them on through this season. Our experience is that they do extremely well holding the road in any circumstances. I do seem to drift a little in dry weather, but I thought it was just me.
    The bottom line is: can I overinflate the Blizzaks?

16. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think you'll find anyone here who will advise or recommend that you overinflate any tire. Most will recommend going above the Toyota recommended pressure for the OEM tires, but that doesn't mean exceeding the max pressure listed on the sidewalk (44 psi for the OEM Integrities). Check to see the max pressure for your tires (cold) and don't exceed that pressure!

1 person likes this.
  17. ann13820

ann13820 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OH! I didn't realize the maximum pressure is actually listed on the tire... so much to learn.
    Thanks

18. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you have the Blizzak WS-60 in the 185/65 R15 size, then you also have a tire with a max cold pressure rating of 44 psi. If you treat this tire the same way others have handled the OEM Goodyear Integreties, you could try to hold the pressure at 42 front and 40 rear.

19. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    40/38 seems to be the sweet spot for comfort and improvement in mpg. I tried ridding the donuts on 45/43 a while back. forget it the ride was just to harsh for the small amount of mpg gain.

some people have run over 50 psi on the goodyears, they are true masochist..that is just to ruff of a ride.