1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire psi reversed when new.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tanteb & rgrpick, May 24, 2006.

1. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

Well, three and a half weeks into ownership, we finally checked our tire pressure. It certainly wasn't what one would expect, 39 39 in the rear, with the front at 36 and 37.....I'd say someone at the dealership wasn't paying attention, and obviously, we didn't follow through as we should have either.

I know the greater psi is supposed to be up front, but what effect could this reversal have had? lower MPG? Were there potential safety issues involved?

I hate to admit it, although I have changed clutches in old Beetles,and done sundry other repairs, I had never checked air pressure nor changed a tire, will be checking pressure somewhat regularily now.

2. moolman

moolman Member

Won't damage the car, makes no difference, PSI can vary with temperature and if you used the car or not. Just check the tires every month.

Alex

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since you only have a little mileage on the car, why worry about the effect of the wrong pressure? There was probably little effect anyway.

And here I thought "Tire PSI reversed" meant negative PSI! ("Aye, Cap'n, she canna take the punishment much longer!")

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

No safety issue with that small a differential between front & rear.

5. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

Thanks to each of you for responding, now I really know I need to ease up and just enjoy the car.

6. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I finally got around to checking the tires last weekend. They were at 32 and 32, and I thought the ride and the mileage were both pretty darn good. I bumped them up to 37 and 35 to see if we notice any difference in mpg. I know that the high mileage Prius owners on PC generally have 42 and 40, but with some of the roads we're on (especially, but not only, in D.C.), I'd rather sacrifice some mpg for ride comfort.