1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire replacement protocol

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Doug B., Apr 8, 2014.

1. Doug B.

Doug B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a Prius v 2012 with 40,000 miles. (Averaging 40 mpg overall with multiple long distance trips fully loaded and carrying 2 bikes on rear.) My tires are Bridgestone Taranza EL-400 and are performing well and should last another 10-15,000 miles easily. When replacement time comes I would like to install the same tire. My dealer cannot get this tire so was wondering if I can have new tires installed by a non-Toyota shop? What would be pros and cons? Thank you.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there are a couple threads on the best tires...But I'd never consider going to a car dealer for tires... you will get better selection and save some serious coin by going to a tire dealer, and probably get better information, and better/faster service.

Doug B. likes this.
  3. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    There is no problem going to a proper tire shop to get the tires you want installed. They will already know about the TPMS sensors installed in your wheels as all newer cars have them.

They remove your old tires and replace them with the new ones. The TPMS sensors do not have to be reprogrammed, your car already 'knows' them. Have them balanced, I get them to use the stuck on wheel weights as I use the plastic wheel covers the car came with as they can only sit flat against the wheel with those type of weights. You also don't get the coating of the wheel damaged by those hammer on weights that way.

Roland

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By the time you're going to be ready for tires your vehicle will probably be out of its base warranty period, so the dealer issue is moot.
    If you got the extended warranty they cannot in any way pressure you into letting them do anything to YOUR car to preserve this warranty....if it is a warranty and not some aftermarket "coverage"---but that's a whole separate issue.
    If you've been rotating your tires they should all need replacing at once, so just look for a good tire sale about six to nine months from now based on your current driving.
    Since you're already happy with the Bridgestones., then the hard part (picking a replacement tire) is already done for you.
    I usually go with some place like a Sam's or a Costco, since they offer lifetime rotation and balancing.If they don't stock the Taranza EL-400's they can usually order them, and since you're thinking about this all in advance you have time to do a little noodle work on where to get the tire.
    Costco usually tries to do the nitrogen scam, but you can insist on black valve stem covers, buy 4 for a dollar...OR just pocket the ones that are on the tires now before you go into the store. That way people won't roll their eyes and giggle at your car when they see the lime-green covers in the parking lot.
    Well.....unless it's a Whole Foods parking lot. :)

Good Luck!

Doug B. likes this.
  6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I never buy tires from dealers. Despite their buy 3 get 1 free deals, they are always much more expensive than the competition. I usually go to Costco or America's Tires because they offer free lifetime balance and rotation and free flat repair.

iPhone ?

Doug B. likes this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They don't have them in part because the tires are not as good as others. I had one blow the first week and they had to order it. Get some Michelin tires and you will thank me later. Quieter, smoother, longer lasting and they maintain their balance better. For the same cost or less.

8. Doug B.

Doug B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    rj, is the Michelin a good all weather tire? Here in Minnesota we need the versatility.
    Thanks.

9. Doug B.

Doug B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    rj, is the Michelin a good all weather tire? Here in Minnesota we need the versatility.
    Thanks.

10. Doug B.

Doug B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks.

11. Doug B.

Doug B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks.

12. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever you get, it should say Michelin on the side. There's lots to choose from depending on the size you need. I'm a big believer in the Energysaver A/S, as you can see from my Fuelly average. Its not a snow tire, but does pretty well with the right driver.

Doug B. likes this.
  13. Doug B.

Doug B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Hey ETC, what is "the nitrogen scam" about and the "lime green covers"? I am in the dark on this.

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are many and very lengthy articles out there about the alleged benefits of adding Nitrogen (N100) to your tires instead of compressed air (which is already 78 percent Nitrogen.) It's the automotive equivalent of "nursery water" only the kid doesn't have to wear a bright green bracelet saying "My parent(s) is/are gullible!"

There are indeed benefits...if you're the one doing the selling.
    The purveyors of this automotive garbage make their customers easy to spot at a distance by putting bright lime green valve stem covers on their customers tires.
    My theory is that this makes it easier for other snake oil salespersons to differentiate the gullible at a distance.

The scam works like this:
    They (mostly) add nitrogen to your tires. Some of the real believers might repeat this process several times to flush all of the N78 out of your tires since tires are somewhat rigid, but mostly they don't.
    Then?
    You "have" to keep putting N100 into your tires to keep them topped off, so the crooks offer this service "for free", mostly to get you to RETURN so that you can fill your shopping buggy or get other maintenance done to your car (depending on the venue.)
    This is discussed and debated frequently on this and many other automotive, cycling, and other forums.

Unless you're an airline pilot?
    I don't see any measurable benefit.

Besides...if the non nitrogen components of "regular" air are always leaching out of your tires, doesn't this leave you with (more) mostly..........nitrogen anyway? ;)

15. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Doug, I live in NJ and believe in snow tires. They really make a big difference . You don't need to buy sensors. I just bought tires & rims and swap them every winter. You'll have to look at the annoying yellow light but it's really no big deal.