1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tire replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by arnoutterschure, Oct 10, 2007.

1. arnoutterschure

arnoutterschure New Member

I have a flat (punctured by a screw...) on my 1 month old prius, and toyota wants to charge me ~$150 to replace this ONE tire, because it would not fall under warranty...

I find the price outrages and wonder if I could get tips on where to get the extact same new tire for a lower price. I don't recall the tire brand, so pleas help. Because the car is only 1 month old, with only 300miles on it, I don't see a reason to by two new tires, and just replacing the flat with an exact new one would be best.

thanks!

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try a Goodyear dealer, they should be Goodyear Integrity tires.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree with Paprius. I had the same problem awhile back. I paid $80-something for a new one at a Goodyear store.

4. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might get a better price on line for one tire, and then get it mounted locally, i.e. TireRack. It would at least be worth checking into, and depends how soon you need it.

Update:
    This may not be an option for you. I tried ordering one OEM tire from TireRack and it still ran US$85 delivered.

5. skyfield

skyfield New Member

I have Bridgestone Potenza XL...whatever you do, make sure you get the XL (Extra Load) tires for your Prius because if you don't, your gas mileage will drop ~10 MPGs. Many tire dealers don't know about this and I had an issue where I got new tires and the same day my gas mileage went down, the tire delaer swore the two could not be correlated. But they were. Just wanted to let you know.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not have the tyre repaired? It's only a nail hole isn't it? Replacing a 1 month old tyre with a screw hole in it seems such a waste. A patch on the inside of the tyre should have it like new again.

7. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Patch a tire should cost about 20-30 dollars. Make calls before you show up.

8. snakeman

snakeman New Member

I had something similar happen on my old Prius - got cut off at a left turn by a truck and had to make a much sharper turn resulting in curbing the tire and cutting a nice hole in it. I took the car to one of the local small tire places here in inner city Boston - just a no-name place where the guy does business in cash out of his pocket rather than a register. I got the exact same tire with almost idential tread wear (check it myself along with the shop) balanced and mounted and everything for $30. That tire went another 25,000 miles before I replaced the whole set of 4.

Moral of the story is you might be able to get a good deal locally if you look around a bit but $150 is certainly too much to pay for one tire. :eek:

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 10 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]523645[/snapback]</div>
    I second that. A patch should fix it like new, and cost $10 or less at your local tire dealer or gas station.

But if you go for a new Integrity (I assume you have the non-Touring Prius), FYI TireRack.com sells it for $66 + $13 shipping. You can have it drop shipped to one of their recommended local installers who typically charge $15 to $25 to install. So, altogether, it will be $100 or less for a brand new tire. But I like the $10 or less fix (patch) much better.

10. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 10 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]523645[/snapback]</div>
    You can also get a repair kit at most any kind of automotive store to repair small holes. It consists of a cord, adhesive, and applicator tool. You may not even need to take the tire off of the rim. Of course if you drove on the flattened tire for a while and ruined it that is another story!

PA P

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I bought my Prius, the tires came with their own warranty. Check the packet of manuals you were given. Those Integrities MAY have a road-hazard warranty on them.

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P.S.: Whatever you do, make sure you apprise the installer of the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (TPMS) and to be careful around it. It's part of/attached to the tire valve and rim. Also, do not get a new tire valve and do not use Fix-A-Flat or similar aerosol tire hole sealers. Any damage to the TPMS will cost you over $100 to fix.

13. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd advise against an external fix (the cord type). An internal patch will be much more reliable and doesn't cost that much.

14. arnoutterschure

arnoutterschure New Member

thanks all! i'll probably just buy a $10 repair kit, it is just a small screw that punctured the tire slightly. I did use a flat sealant, but I donot see how that could affect your TPMS. Please explain

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(proudpriusowner @ Oct 10 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]523685[/snapback]</div>
    I think the same way it gunks up the hole, it gunks up the sensor and transmitter. Fix-A-Flat (and I think other aerosol sealants) now say right on the can: Do not use on tires/wheels with TPMS.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Oct 11 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]523663[/snapback]</div>
    External type repairs should only be used for emergency and the tyre should be repaired with an internal patch as soon as possible. I carry a plug kit on my motorbike but I would always have the tyre repaired properly and never rely on a plug or cord repair. A repairer will also inspect the inside of the tyre for damage.
    It is possible you have repaired a tyre with a plug and it lasted the life of the tread but it isn't advised.

17. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  18. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

Ouch... I think most places charge extra to degunk the tire.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(proudpriusowner @ Oct 10 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]523685[/snapback]</div>

19. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(proudpriusowner @ Oct 10 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]523685[/snapback]</div>
    Where is the puncture hole? Is it in the sidewall? If it is, it is unsafe to repair that tire.

Is this the reason that the dealer refused to fix the tire and insisted on selling you a new one?
    IIRC, I paid $17 to repair a flat at my dealer and that included the cost of balancing the tire after it was remounted on the wheel.

20. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Speaking as someone with some experience in the tire business ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skyfield @ Oct 10 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]523644[/snapback]</div>
    He should replace it with what he has now, likely Goodyear Integritys.

I should have thought to mention this in my previous post, if it's repairable. But if it's near the edge of the tread or on the sidewall, as others have said, it won't be.

I agree with those who recommend not trying to plug it. A patch on the inside, done by a reputable tire store, is best.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Oct 10 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]523666[/snapback]</div>
    Tire manufacturers' warranties do not usually include road hazard protection, and that's the case with the Integritys. Toyota offered it as part of its motorist assistance plan that came with 2005 and earlier models, but that was discontinued with the 2006 model year.