1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Rotation with 2 OEM Prius Jacks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sas0611, Nov 21, 2008.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have two '08 Prius's. Therefore I have to OEM tire jacks. Can any of you that do your own tire rotations forsee any problems using the two jacks simultaneously to lift one side of the car up at a time. To clarify... I'd be placing one jack at lift point behind front driver side wheel and one jack at lift point in front of rear driver side wheel. I then would rotate front and back on same side... let it down and repeat on passenger side.

What if anything should I be mindful of in this scenario since I won't be using using floor jacks or jack stands ? I will do most of the tightening and loosening with the car down and then spinning the nuts on or off while in the air.

Thanks in advance.

2. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is exactly how I do it, except that I use two floor jacks. Works great for me. Be sure to do it on level ground and set the parking brake.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Please reconsider your plan to use the OEM jacks. They are flimsy and not to be trusted. If you're lucky, the jacks will fail and the car will land on a cement garage floor. Like most front-wheel drive cars, the Prius is heavier in the front. Scratch the rotors

If you're unlucky, you will be in a critical "pinch point" when the car falls off the jacks. Then if you're lucky, you have minor trauma and eventually heal. If you're unlucky, you have severe crush injury and expire

Invest in those hydraulic floor trolley jacks. Even a basic 2 ton model has far better strength and stability compared to the OEM jack

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't see a problem with using the two OEM jacks as long as you let the car down on jackstands front and rear before you actually take the tires off. Always use jackstands when working on the car up in the air.

But, if you have jackstands you don't need two jacks, eh?

+1 on obtaining and using a hydraulic floor jack. You don't use it to replace jackstands, but to make it easier to get the car up on the jackstands. You can do all kinds of stuff with all four corners up on stands. I'd be lost without mine.

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I totally concur with Jayman. Have you tried using the OEM jacks yet? They are horrible. In fact I put mine away and substituted a civic jack. Buy a hydraulic floor jack, less work.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The mechanical jacks (as included with most cars) are not very stable. In a garage setting you would be much better off with a floor jack and stands. Inexpensive ones are quite adequate for this weight car.

7. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Will the hydraulic floor trolley jack work on a shale drive? The jack that came with the car will NOT!

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You should never attempt to jack up a vehicle on a soft or unsteady surface.

That said, I've cut various squares of 1/4 and 1/2 inch plate steel to use as "pads" for jacks. You put the plate under the front wheels of the trolley jack, and another plate under the rear of the trolley jack.

This is a risky procedure, as the jack can roll off the plate. I have several trusty 5, 7.5, and 10 ton floor jacks, but there is no way in hell they would fit under my Prius. Combined with a plate steel "pad" they easily lift up my FJ Cruiser outside on a dirt surface

9. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, Jayman! Guess I'll have to not try. I've changed my oil for years, but guess those days are over.

10. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Changing oil on a Prius doesn't require any jacking. Both the drain bolt and the filter are at the front of the engine so you can just reach in there and work on them. It may not be that comfortable but I really like that ramps/jacking aren't necessary. Just get yourself a low profile drain pan.

As for the jack, I've used mine to rotate tires (one at a time using the spare) and it's a pain. After the first attempt I bought an inexpensive hydraulic trolley jack from Sears which is much easier on the hands, not to mention less time consuming.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never used ramps to change the oil in my Prius. It's a bit of a reach but you should be able to change the oil with all 4 wheels on the ground

I had a hard time finding a dedicated oil drain pan that would fit under. My collection of drain pans are far too tall. I bought a cheap tin drain pan, cut it down , but it looked like hell

I happened to notice at Wally World, they have those Tupperware containers for cold cuts, like a Party Pak size. They're only about 3 inches high, and will work just fine

The oil filter hangs straight down from the front of the motor. Once you've changed the oil a few times, you'll know where it is by feel. An old mirror is handy here

For the Prius, I always warn folks when they change their own oil, or take it to an Iffy Loob place: Just because the motor is off, doesn't mean the car itself is off. True enough you should hear the inverter coolant pump running

You must make absolutely sure the car is properly powered off. Again, an Iffy Loob place would probably assume since the gas motor is off, the car is off. In the middle of an oil change, motor starts up, whoops

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cheeper, don't give up so easily, if it's only an oil change, you can do it without lifting car. If still not enough room, let the front end hang over the sidewalk or drive up on a 2-4 inch board, make a small ramp, etc.

13. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    just take it somewhere. it's alot easier

14. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, guys! :) I just had my first oil change at the dealer (only freebe) so I'll be thinking about it. I could get some boards for a ramp. I've felt and found the filter. The dealer did a good job changing the oil etc.

There is a lot they check, so it might be worth it to have them do it and keep a better eye on the car. I can change the oil and play the radio. :D