1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Rotation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FroggyTaco, Jul 16, 2013.

1. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First off I tried searching but didn't find any relevant results so....

My 2013 Liftback II states in the owners manual to only rotate the tires front to back & vice versa and not in the more "typical" fronts to the rear and rears opposite fronts method that I have used on all my non-directional tire cars.

Any good reason why? Or is it a manual oversight that is meant for the 17's(are they directional?)?

Travis

2. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Um. I've been mucking with tires on and off since 1971.

Bias ply tires: Front to back and side to side. Plus, if you have a full-sized spare, you add it to the rotation as well, if you like.
    Radial tires: Front to back and back to front. Period. No side to side stuff.

There's something about radials taking a "set". Once they have that set, moving them to other side of the car is supposed to be a bad idea.

The Prius takes only radials, as far as I know. If you've been doing your rotation trick with radials, I suspect (1) you've run through tires a lot quicker than you'd expect (increased wear) and (2) probably had reduced traction and such when you did.

KBeck

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, swapping side to side died along with bias ply tires.

SCH-I535

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, rotating is intended to benefit the tire shops more than it does your tires. If everything is right, and they all have the correct pressure for their load, they should wear more or less evenly. If you're paying for rotation, the odds of spending more on rotation than you save on tire life are high. If it's free, then no harm done other than the loss of time. Same for balancing, they're either running smooth or not and re-balancing doesn't benefit you unless they need it.

But that's just me, and I hate wasting time in a shop just for tires. I hate doing it myself even more. But I've always gotten better than expected mileage from tires and never rotated.

ForestBeekeeper likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On front wheel drive cars the tires in the front definitely wear out much faster. Much more weight on them plus steering and pulling the vehicle along.

The only thing rear tires do on a front wheel drive vehicle is keep the rear bumper from dragging on the ground.

SCH-I535

ForestBeekeeper likes this.
  6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I've never been in love enough with a tire to care whether it lasted another 5K miles or not. But my point still stands - the odds of saving enough on tire life to justify paying for B&R is very low. At best a break-even, less if you value your time.

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Hmm - From my daughter's 2011 Ford Fiesta manual:

rotate.PNG

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Early radials needed Front to back only to prevent damage. (40 years ago) Toyota still seems to prefer it.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not been rotating but the front does wear out faster. On rear I must have 80000 miles on GY ComforTred but I changed out the front after 60000.

10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I usually rotate my tires about 500 times per mile, other wise I find that I don't get anywhere.
    :)

Mike

Jonny Zero and xliderider like this.
  11. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (y) :sneaky:

12. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My most complete example I can offer you is this;

I used to own a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan that my ex-wife purchased new before meeting me. The OEM tires lasted until 43K. We then installed Michelin Harmony tires that I did the rotations on. Every 5K I moved the fronts straight back and moved the rears to the opposite front side. We sold that van when it had 106K on it and those Michelin Harmony tires still had over 50% tread life remaining.

I am pretty much a Michelin fanboy after that experience.

Travis

13. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Interesting... I think I am going to continue with what has worked well for me then.

Travis

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you do not care if fronts wear more quickly than rears then don't bother to rotate. Most likely you will be buying two tires at a time.

I prefer to wear tires evenly and buy four tires at a time. So I rotate my tires every 5000-7500 miles and keep the tread within 1/32 between fronts and rears.

I buy my tires at Sam's Club and get free B&R.

retired4999 likes this.
  15. Delta Flyer II

Delta Flyer II Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Shop foreman at my Toyota dealer said they only rotate front to back and will only cross rotate if there is an alignment issue that needs to be corrected....

16. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Today's non-directional tires are fine with the cross rotation method.

The rule is: Cross rotate the non-drive. I prefer to use this method for the best wear and tire life (y)

Attached Files:

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Coming from a long line of Hondas, for decades they've recommended front to back and cross to front, with radials. I did that, no ill effects. With the Prius Toyota says front to back and back to front (no cross over), so I do that. Actually, our snows are directional, so it's sort of a moot point, at least with them.

Either method will work nowadays, I think. FWIW the tire manufacturers, Michelin for one, recommend cross over method with their radials. I think when radials were first introduced there were problems, or expected problems, but over time opinion has shifted, cross over is fine.

18. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As an update last week I had my 10K service done and the local dealer was willing to cross rotate my tires so I had them do it.

Travis