1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tire rotations

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by zdavid, Aug 10, 2009.

1. zdavid

zdavid New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are tire rotations really necessary every 5k miles?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No they are not. I will rotate mine at 10K and again at 30K. After that if there is any tread left I will figure out where to put them so they all wear out at about the same time. I don't care about tire warranties anyway because I will most likely buy a different brand if I have problems.

3. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe my tires rotate any time my car is moving. But, to be truthful, I've not run along side to confirm this. Hmmm.....

:pound:

I usually use 10K, and I have my son-in-law the mechanic do it so I'm not out the bucks. Then, again, many tire dealers include free rotation with purchase.

4. Benggolf

Benggolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that what the owner's manual states? Don't have our car yet, but we usually rotate tires at 7,500 Kms. Works for us. :)

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. Indeed on a front-wheel drive car it's a little safer not to rotate them. Front tires wear out faster, which is fine because the better tires should always be in the rear to help prevent fishtailing. When the front two wear out, move the rear pair to the front and put two new tires on the rear. Note that this does not decrease the total life of the tires.

If uneven or unusual wear occurs on tires it indicates that they are poorly balanced or that there is a suspension or alignment problem. Any of those conditions should be repaired; merely rotating the tires only masks the problem.

6. zdavid

zdavid New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So looks like 10k would be a good time to rotate. I notice in my manual they recommend rotating rears straight up to fronts instead of crossing fronts. I wonder if anyone has an opinion on this? thanks

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When radial ply tires first came into common use it was considered evil to cross them over and let them rotate the other direction. I recently ask the question at 3 different tire stores and they all said it is now considered OK to cross them over as long as they do not have a unidirectional tread pattern. None of the tires that are supplied on the Prius have unidirectional tread.

I think it's OK if you want to cross them over but if they are wearing OK there may be no reason to do so.

Edit: Tire Rack says to cross them over, and I think they know tires as well as anyone: Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions