1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire sensor warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IABoy987, Dec 27, 2012.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Had the low tire light indicating a tire has low pressure, which I have had happen before and so inflate all tires from 38 to 40 lbs each. After a few tire rotations, lamp extinguishes. Except this time it doesn't. It blinks for a minute then lights steady.
    Any way to reset it (didn't find anything in owners manual) or tell if its the sensor in a tire or the sensor element on car? Either way suppose will be a visit to Toyota repair. Oh well, first real visit for a problem in six years (other than for recalls), other than headlight replacements and oil changes.

2. TBurnham

TBurnham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am in KS - and the first thing I would ask is How Cold is it ??? cold does funny things to tire pressure based off of how much moisture is in the tires. 1. make sure that they all have the tire pressure that you want them to have. 2. make sure that you are putting the correct caps on all of the valve stems - those for tires with tps have a seal inside of them to keep moisutre out and prevents the killing of tps sensors. 3. Reset the pressure for the warning light - under your steering column their are 2 buttons (if you have sks - only one if you do not have sks) the one that does not say "KEY" or without sks the only button - press and hold (with the car on) - it may blink but do not release it until the light goes out. This will reset the sensor to the exact pressure in each tire at that time. I hope that this helps - if not it may require a trip to the dealer to make sure that the tps computer is reading from all 4 of the sensors.

3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IF you cannot get it to reset yourself, call around to your local tire shops and see how much they charge.

Most nowadays have the scan tool to re-sync the pressure sensors to the tire pressure monitoring system computer. My local tire shop only charged me $20 to re-sync it (in comparision, I called the Toyota dealer and they quoted me $109 over the phone!!). My light would blink and no amount of pushing the TPMS reset button in any sequence did any good. Turns out, the tire tech said the TPMS computer was confused and not communicating with the tire pressure sensors. He re-calibrated them. Took all of 10 minutes.