1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Shops that offer Nitrogen for Tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by New Revelation, Aug 28, 2006.

1. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone in their local areas ever seen any tire shops that offer free nitrogen to put in your tires in place of regular air?

I can only assume that one would fill their tires with that to assume lighter weight, compared to normal air. There's a tire shop here near Grand Rapids that offers this service. Not sure if something like that would actually improve MPG or not, but was curious if any of you have seen tire shops that offers this.

EDIT: Never mind, I just found a previous thread from May regarding this topic.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 28 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]310860[/snapback]</div>
    I understand that CostCo does it. Do you have that yet in Grand Rapids yet? Sorry I have not been living in that area for quite a while and have been through there only a few times in the past 10 years.

3. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 28 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]310914[/snapback]</div>
    Yes there's a Costco in the GR area, but I don't have a membership with them though. Another shop I saw right across from where I work also offers free nitro fills as well. Anyway, based on the thread I read on regarding nitro it wont be too much of a benefit using it anyway. Amazing what you can discover doing reserach. :)

4. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there have been posts about this before and from what I recall from here and possibly other articles, there seems to be no significant gain at all if any.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's claimed that Nitrogen, being a bigger molecule, won't leak out of your tires as fast. A better idea is to get a tire inflator, check your tire pressure regularly, and adjust them as needed with a roughly 70% Nitrogen mixture.

6. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 29 2006, 12:17 AM) [snapback]311009[/snapback]</div>

I'm going to fill my tires with Helium. That way the car will be way lighter. Better mileage woot! :lol:

7. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One of the advantages to using Nitrogen is there will be less expansion/contraction with this gas due to temperature changes as compared to air.

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Aug 29 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]311177[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. Unlike air, which itself is almost 80% nitrogen, nitrogen doesn't follow the Ideal Gas Law. :lol:

The only benefit of filling your tires with nitrogen is that pure N2 doesn't have water vapor in it like air does. And that's a pretty small benefit.

9. SaintStephen

SaintStephen New Member

I used nitrogen for the first time in my race bike's tyres, and subsequently crashed in turn 5 at Laguna Seca. I blamed the nitrogen for the crash, although it was most certainly right wrist related. :)
    I wouldn't worry about air pressure stabilization in the Prius, as it's not really designed as a race car.

my 2p

ss

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nitrogen in your tires is a total snake oil...

11. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Aug 29 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]311175[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm with Him!!!!! :lol: :lol: what a great idea!!!! :lol: :lol:

12. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had nitrogen put in my o6 prius and after 8200 miles i had no loss. if you dont think it works compare that with air

13. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The nitrogen does seem to stay in the tires longer requiring less refills. Costco does not charge any extra for it, so any benefit is worthwhile. Calling it "snake oil" isn't fair for a free service ( Costco's tire prices are probably better than anyone elses's anyway.)

14. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm glad all your nitrogen filled tires don't leak - much. So even if you just check the pressure every week (you do check your tire pressure every week, don't you?), eventually you will bleed down the tires and need inflation.

I pull out my self-contained air compressor and pump up my tires to the correct 42/40 psi (!) cold pressure.

You have to run down to Costco or wherever you got your tires (by now they are hot and the pressure has increased anyway) and get a shot of N2. Be sure you note exactly how low each tire is, and tell the service person to add the exact PSI to the reading they may get since the tires are hot.

Yes, running N2 in your tires is SO much easier. And I'm sure they will last well beyond the tire's rated life since they won't be oxidizing from the inside out!

Me, I've got better things to worry about.

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 29 2006, 11:52 PM) [snapback]311487[/snapback]</div>
    Now that I have nitrogen in my tires, I too have noticed they leak less.

I check the tires before any trip I make to Costco . . . which turns out to be about weekly. :blink:
    So far, I have yet needed to top off any of the tires in over a month and a half since the nitrogen conversion . . . but, when that day comes, and it will (probably from all the leaking caused from checking the tires so often :lol: ), most Costco Tire Centers leave a hose at the corner of the furthest bay for customers who wish to top off their own tires. And if not, just ask, they will gladly let you do the work.

I think I will cut back on the number of times I check my tire pressure. I dread the thought of having to top off the tires several months from now.

Me? I have less things to worry about. :p