1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tire size 195 60 15 is this okay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robinredbreast, Jul 10, 2005.

1. robinredbreast

robinredbreast New Member

Yesterday I had installed goodyear triple treads I opted for the 195 60 15s I thought 65s would be to much tire. I know it affects the GPS and speedometer but could the size difference affect any other kind of computer calculations the Prius might use for the tire rotation.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:8c84477ef6]As far as I know, tire rotation is up to you. I think Toyota suggests rotating tires at oil chages, every 5K miles, but unless you've set a different reminder in the display, I don't think there are any calculations.

That size tire shouldn't be any problem for nav and such. Be sure to reset the nav for new tires.[/font:8c84477ef6]

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    185/65x15 is about 24.4" in diameter. 195/60x15 is about 24.2". This is exactly one size up, which I usually do to all my vehicles after the original tires wear out. In this case, you will get ~1% smaller tires. Your mpg/mph would both minimally affected. Better handling at turns, slightly worse MPG, and shorter emergency braking. A very good trade-off for those less MPG-sensitive drivers. Which tires do you plan to get? Have you check out the tirerack.com for rating? I usually go to Wheel Works and ask them to match tirerack.com's price (more choices), and they do in SF BayArea. Other times, I simply use Costco (only 2 or 3 choices but free installation and else).

4. robinredbreast

I did have the Good Year 195 60 15 Triple treds installed at Discount tire
    Good price I got them to price match the tirerack to 10.00 off each tire 89.00 tire + Three rebates 50.00 another 25.00 + 50.00 grocery card.

5. robinredbreast

Update had tires on for a week now they ride fine but my mileage has really suffered from 52mpg to 43 44 mpg.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hopefully you'll find that after maybe 1,200 miles the tires won't be such a drag on MPGs. On good days, with good gas, I've seen over 50MPG on one 17 mile drive back from getting gas, and 47+MPG driving long distances. Not quite as good as the OEMs, but much better wet and dry performance.

On hot days, and other days at random, the car likes to lose MPGs left and right. Same road, same speed, less economy. Beats me...

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

1. I note that you're asking if the tires are ok after you've bought and installed them.

2. The stock tires are perfectly fine and they don't cost extra; the ride is good and the mpgs are good. My tires should last 40,000 miles.

8. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ive had the Goodyear TT tires for 16000 miles ...excellent ride...you will notice a mileage hit initially, however, as time wears on...after about 8-10k miles on them...your mileage will rebound...im consistantly in the low 50s mpg and the handling is much better than the original integrity tire...

9. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bought my Prius in Jan 2008, used with 30k on it with the OEM 185's I drove it for the remainder of that winter (Buffalo NY) and thought about getting a four wheel drive before the next winter. I replaced the tires when they wore down with 195 60-R 15 Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires from wal-mart in Sep 2008. I have now driven two more winters on them and haven't bought a four wheel drive for winter yet. I just replaced them today with four new tires same make from wal-mart for only $10 more than I paid two years and 80 some thousand miles ago. I'm not sure if it was the tread change or the tire size but I know these tires have done the Buffalo winters and the buffalo to Boston trip once a month for the last two winters with no issues on the highway. On side streets nothing moves in Buffalo without more ground clearance or four wheel drives.
    as far as mileage or speed changes I have noted a 1MPG drop over what I was getting with the 185's (I remember reading on this here so I kept track the first few months) I also noted a 2MPH change from what the "speed in Zone" signs say I'm going compared to the dash display.

I don't know if any of this helps answer your question or not but it’s what I have noticed with my Gen II and my tires.

10. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    195/60/ 15 is a wider tire, thus the FE hit! Hal