1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire size effect on calculated vs. real fuel economy..

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by c4, Nov 22, 2013.

1. c4

c4 Active Member

So, I recently replaced my poor old NWH11 2001 Gen1 Prius with a new C2 due to the front cross-member corroding out, and I've been enjoying the C2 for the last little while, but with the snow coming soon, I had been thinking about winter tires..

I did some research and it turned out that although not recommended, the C2 is supposed to be able to accommodate 14" rims, and given that I had Michelin X-Ice2 winter tires on 14" rims from the Gen1 that were only two seasons old, and the tires were the recommended size (175/70R14) if you were to go 14", I decided to save some money and reuse the Gen1 winter tires on the C2 (the plan was to use the 14" winter tires as long as they were good, and then I'd get 15" alloys for summer and reuse the 15" steels that came with the vehicle for the next set of winter tires)..

Well, the forecast called for potentially 5-10cm of snow this weekend, so rather than trust the stock tires, I swapped on the old winter tires last night. First off: yes, you most certainly *can* use the 14" rims on the C2- there's only about 1/4" of clearance between the rim and the brake calipers on the steel rims, but they will work..

Anyways, back to the story: I noticed right away that the calculated fuel economy reported by the vehicle was better than on the old tires easily by 5% or more! Now the X-Ice2s are supposed to be a very low rolling resistance tire, and I'm running 38/35 PSI in them, so my first question is: how much better are the X-Ice2 vs. the stock tire, which in my case are Goodyear Assurance 175/65R15s? In other words, how much of the MPG value improvement is due to the smaller size of the tire vs. potentially a better rolling resistance tire? For comparison, I'd be interested in finding out from those who have upgraded to the 16" option using 195/50R16 tires, which are 23.68" diameter (vs. 23.65" for the 175/70R14, although the 16" tires are substantially wider and also substantially heavier: I didn't weigh my tires, but putting the 15" stock tires back onto the storage rack after the swap, they felt like they were a good 4-5 lbs heavier than the 14" tires)- what has the change in your mileage been simply due to the tires? Is the smaller diameter doing anything to improve your mileage readings or is the extra weight and width cancelling this effect out?

Now, further to the assertion that smaller diameter = better mileage calculation vs better mileage in reality, everything I've been reading says that the MPG only looks better because the smaller tire makes the car think I've driven farther, and certainly the smaller tire needs to turn more revs to go the same distance so the odometer reading will be out, *BUT* I'm also burning more gas/using more battery to turn the tires those extra revs, so theoretically, it should all cancel out, shouldn't it? So is it really true that the smaller diameter really causes such an artificial increase in MPG? Or perhaps it's the fact that the speedometer reads about 1mph faster than with the stock tires and going a bit slower accounts for the fuel savings ? I would say this last situation isn't the case: I found I was always going below the speed limit (by a good 5-7 mph) on the stock tires to try to keep the MPGs up, but on the smaller tires, I'm going the speed limit (according to the speedometer, which again, based on the smaller tire size would read a bit over 1mph faster vs the stock tires) or even a bit faster and still getting higher MPGs).. Is this really a tire sizing thing or is the rolling resistance of the Michelin winter tires really that much better than the Goodyear Assurance all-seasons (which I have to admit have felt exceptionally sure-footed in both the wet and in a light dusting of snow vs. the Michelin HydroEdge that I used to use on my Gen1- I would often lose traction and briefly spin the tires when accelerating from a stop on wet pavement on the HydroEdge, but haven't been able to do that on the Assurance despite actually trying to cause this to happen- I've always felt the HydroEdge were way overrated as a tire in general, but that's another story)...

If anyone has got the math to back up one assertion or the other I'd love to see how you're working the equations out..

fourenty likes this.
  2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Find a highway with mile markers.

Drive a number of miles. The more, the better. Keep track of how many full miles you drive.

When you start your trip, reset your odometer. Keep track of how many miles you drive.

Compare the actual miles to the count from your car. Create a conversion factor.

My old one was to multipy actual miles times 1.0646 when figuring in miles for maintenance and mpgs.

Alternately, you could find the rotations per mile of your old tires and your new tires and do it that way.

tirerack.com.

3. mdgates

mdgates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your choice of tires should affect fuel economy in the following ways:

1. Rolling resistance, which is probably the only factor here that'll make a measurable difference.

2. Effective gear ratio - revs per mile. This is where taller tires benefit most conventional cars, which are geared shorter than most fuel economy minded drivers prefer. But with a CVT, you can do 1000 RPM at highway speed anyway. I don't think you'll notice much whether it's 43, 45, or 47 mph at which you can shut off the engine.

3. Aerodynamics. Tires are aerodynamically very ugly. Very blocky. Skinny tires are better.

4. Aerodynamics. If the tire affects the ride height, it will affect the air travelling under the car.

5. Weight, and rotating mass. Extra inertia hurts every time you brake.

As to which of your tires are more efficient... you haven't got enough data to calculate it. You should grab a GPS, find a quiet road, and do some coast-down testing. Put it in N and let off the parking brake at a spot with a gentle downhill, and see which tire lets you roll the farthest. Time how quickly you lose speed from 55 mph in neutral, and see which tire makes you the most aerodynamic.

minkus likes this.
  4. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Tire manufacturers routinely do tests on various vehicle models to determine the best combination of mpg. cornering, handling, and comfort.
    Generally speaking mpg depends pretty much on tire diameter and weight. Mpg goes down with increasing weight and diameter. While larger diamers have less rolling resistance, the weight is at a greater dstance from the hub center and that increased torque to turn the wheeloften overrides the reduction in the rolling resistance. If you drive far at constant speed the bigger tire is better.
    Because he vehicle weight, gearing and engine varies so greatly its impossible to write a formukla relating the mpg vx tire size. We've all tried; the closest anyone has come relating the torque to rotate the wheel/tire fr comparison but rarely did we get a relationship between mpg and tire size. In short, here are the rules for changing wheels/tires
    1. when up sizing (to a wider, heavier tire) reduce the diameter of the tire to try to keep the torque the same. Remember when you go shorter the mpg may appear to increase because the wheel rotates more per actual mile traveled. You can get good revs per mile data oin tire rack.com under specs.
    2. Narrower section tires generally have less weight and are better in snow especially if they are a bit bigger diameter as they ';push' thru snow better.
    3. Larger diameter tires do achieve better mpg if you drive at constant speeds for long,
    4. tread designs and performance characteristics matter; choosing a summer tire for winter duty is a certain loser..
    5. using tires past the minimum tread depth is also a loser when it rains.
    That help?

wjtracy likes this.
  5. Hey just how high should you go with tire pressure? Like if the tire is rated for a maximum of 44 psi, and I fill it to 44 psi, and then later in the week it gets warmer and sunny outside is the tire going to explode when I take the car out on the road?

6. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The warming that occurs from the weather will not raise pressure anywhere near the point that the tire will burst. The law of diminishing returns starts to take effect though when you raise your tire pressure much higher than listed max sidewall pressure.

7. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Other han the tread 'stickiness' the things that influence mpg based on tires are the diameter of the tires and their weight. ( all season tires are stickier than summer tires by a bunch at 32F)
    When the diameter decreases the tire rotates more per mile driven and thus yields higher miles than larger diameter tires and must be taken in condsideration doing mpg. While the diameter comparision with the OEM tire id good accuracy means using the rotation of the tires per mile driven from the manufacturer. TireRack tire specs include that data.
    The other significant factor is the weight of the tire; unless driving at a constant speed the effort to increase or decrease the rotation of the wheels and tires are direct causes for increased - or decreased - mpg. Those commuting at constant speeds will benefit from larger diameter tires regardless of weight within reason will benfit. Those driving traffic will benefit more from decreased tire weight with at least OEM tire diameters. Tire rack also has the tire weight data in their specs.
    Having been involved in many tire manufactuer rests of vehicles we never found a good formula for comparing mpg with tire size other than weight and diameter and those aren't that precise, just guides.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...what is your guidance on pressure? Obviously lots of Prii owners like to keep it high.

9. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There is an improvement in mpg with increasing pressure until the contact patch is reduced enough to lose traction. Tire contact patch slippage causes the tire to not only slide sideways easier but also slip on the diameter, both of which reduce mpg.
    The experiments we have tried with several prissy owners indicates about 40 psig is likely the best pressure for any tire with a spe diameter of 24 inches. As you increase stire section width and decrease tire diameter the pressure can reach 45 psig. We did try 50 psig but didn't like the increased understeer that occurred.
    For most using 175/65x15 we like 35 to 40 psig; for 195/55x15's we like 40 psig. For 205/50x16 we like 45 psig even if it cuts mpg.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen2 think we have 185/65R15 would that be same as 175/65x15...35 to 40psig?

11. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I had winter tires and steel rims put on mine within the first 1000km (tis the season!) so hard to give real numbers since now that I'm almost at 5000km I've noticed fuel economy has improved even with the steel rims+winter tires (X-Ice 3)
    BUT I definitely have "poor" gas mileage. I'm getting average 4.8-5.0L/100KM (around 50MPG) but just before putting on the winter tires +steel rims I was around 4.2L/100km and that was before the better economy had kicked in. My Highlander Hybrid didn't really get into its good fuel economy till around 5000km.
    I'm looking forward to spring and getting the stock tires put back on to see. But even with the X-Ice3 and steel rims its still not bad. I think if I hadn't learned Hybrid driving habits before getting the wee Prius C I would not have such high fuel economy.