1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire time- Help me!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bufffy21798, Oct 28, 2009.

1. bufffy21798

bufffy21798 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've been doing LOTS of reading on PC....It's time to get a new set of tires for our Prius. We are in central Illinois, so we get some snow and ice. I'd like my new set to do well in snow and ice and have a nice quiet smooth ride, also do well in rain. I'm not looking to spend a ton. I'm not looking to do snow tires, we don't get THAT much snow. Recommendations would be great!

I was looking at the Michelin primacy mxv4s but they are a little more than I was wanting to spend. We only drive about 8700 miles/year. Thanks!

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    THIS THREAD begins with a thorough recent discussion of the issues. On the last page, there is a link to a Consumer's reports table that lists recommendations for all-season tires. Michelin HydroEdge are at the top, but a less expensive Hankook beats them in snow traction.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the Consumer Reports November 2009 tire tests, and given the factors you listed as important to you -- snow and ice performance, rain performance, noise, comfort, price -- I think the tire to get is the Hankook Optimo H727.

The Hankook Optimo 727 is among the highest rated all-season tires in general. And for snow handling and ice braking, it rates higher than the Primacy in snow handling and equal to the Primacy in ice braking -- in fact, it rates as well or higher in snow handling and ice braking than most of the winter tires tested by Consumer Reports.

I think it's not available in the OEM tire size of 185/65R15. But it is available in the 195/60R15 size (which is the size I prefer anyway) at Sears (among other places) for only $85 each.

Note that because of the wider tread width and higher rolling resistance, plus the fact that these tires will be new, you should expect a drop in gas mileage. But I think that eventually, the difference in gas mileage will be minimal (from my experience with the TripleTreds in the same size, I think the loss will only be about 2 miles a gallon).

Here are the reviews, recommendations and Ratings Charts for Consumer Reports November 2009 tire tests. I'd look it over carefully -- it's the best and most comprehensive tire tests available now:

[​IMG] Consumer_Reports_Nov._2009_Tire_Tests-1.doc

Good luck.

4. bufffy21798

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks guys, I did in fact go ahead and order the hankooks!

5. SwingsetAbby

SwingsetAbby New Member

The Hankook Optimo 727 is among the highest rated all-season tires in general. And for snow handling and ice braking, it rates higher than the Primacy in snow handling and equal to the Primacy in ice braking -- in fact, it rates as well or higher in snow handling and ice braking than most of the winter tires tested by Consumer Reports.

I think it's not available in the OEM tire size of 185/65R15. But it is available in the 195/60R15 size (which is the size I prefer anyway) at Sears (among other places) for only $85 each.

Note that because of the wider tread width and higher rolling resistance, plus the fact that these tires will be new, you should expect a drop in gas mileage. But I think that eventually, the difference in gas mileage will be minimal (from my experience with the TripleTreds in the same size, I think the loss will only be about 2 miles a gallon).

Here are the reviews, recommendations and Ratings Charts for Consumer Reports November 2009 tire tests. I'd look it over carefully -- it's the best and most comprehensive tire tests available now:
    [/quote]

Hi. I've been reading through a number of threads here on tire replacement, and I'm a little confused. I have a 2008 Prius, standard model. I hated the OEMs from the get-go, but didn't have the money to replace them. Now, about 45,000 miles later, I have to. :)

After reading the CR ratings, I'm looking at the Hankook Optimo H727s. My question is, can anyone tell me whether a 195/65/15 or a 195/60/15 is a better choice for the Prius? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what the difference between 60 and 65 really means.

Many thanks in advance...

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    60 is 60% as tall as it is wide, while 65 is 65% as tall as it is wide (both are 195 wide)

So the 60 will be 117 tall while the 65 will be 127 tall.

The original Goodyear Integritys will revolve 855 times per mile.

The 195/60/15 will rotate 851 times, the 195/65/15 will rotate 828 times, so the the 60 will leave you with a more accurate speedometer and odometer.

7. SwingsetAbby

SwingsetAbby New Member

Thank you! And going with something other than the Toyota-recommended tire size won't cause warranty issues?

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Tire manufacturer separately warranties both your original tires, (there was a pamphlet from Goodyear) and your new tires, Toyota is uninvolved.

1 person likes this.
  9. bufffy21798

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got my tires this morning (Hankook 727), had them mounted this morning, and WOW! They are wonderful, such a smooth ride and quiet. Can't comment on the rain or snow traction yet. Figures.. the one day I need it to rain this week, it doesn't. So far I'm in love though!

I ordered mine from www.gripston.com , they shipped them super fast for free. They were $73.78/tire.

1 person likes this.
  10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks bufffy for the update and tip for where to buy them cheap.

Would love to hear your review this winter if you ever have to drive on
    snow or ice.

11. bufffy21798

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ha, yeah give me about a month on the snow and ice handling review. I'm sure by then I'll have driven on lots of it!

12. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think you mean you got Hankook H727 installed ... right?

I got those installed at Tire Factory and it costs about same. I paid $417 including installation and taxes, warranty, free flat fix, lifetime balance, rotations and 4 wheel alignment ( we have 9.5% Tax).

I got the same feeling after driving with H727s. What a smooth comfy ride...and less noisy too.:D

13. bufffy21798

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, I had the Hankook h727 installed. I didn't have a Tire Factory near me and no one could "get" the hankook 727 tire for me, so I just ordered them myself and took them to my trusty car dude.

I'm glad other people are feeling the same way about these tires! Still hasn't rained since they were installed....

14. bufffy21798

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wanted to update w/a review of the Hankook h727 on rain, they stopped on a dime yesterday. TWO cars ran a red light, one right after another, while I had the arrow to make a left hand turn, very impressed with them! I'll update when it snows and sleets.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Watch your mileage. Many find that after installing new treads, your mpg's drop temporarily ... maybe 5,000 miles or so. It will come back though.