1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Types/Rolling Resistance/Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by EZW1, Sep 24, 2009.

1. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I ran across this study today of several tire types versus rolling resistance and fuel efficiency. All tire types were evaluated on a Prius and the standard Infinity tires were the baseline. Interesting study. I think there are a few surprises.

I'm providing the link as well as copy since I cannot guarentee how long the link will be available:
    www.inautonews.com
    TEST - Best low rolling resistance (LRR) tires

TEST - Best low rolling resistance (LRR) tires

September 22, 2009
    CommentsTEST+-+Best+low+rolling+resistance+%28LRR%29+tires+2009-09-22+18%3A37%3A37mircea
    Filed Under: News, Other

[​IMG]

Following a recent test at its South Bend, IN test track, Tire Rack, America’s largest independent tire tester, today published a comprehensive report analyzing the effectiveness of eco-friendly, low rolling resistance (LRR) tires. In its published report, Tire Rack confirms that using LRR tires is an effective way for consumers to save money while reducing carbon emissions through increased fuel efficiency.
    As manufacturers continue to release more and more eco-friendly tire models, Tire Rack conducted a Real World Road Ride Economy Run to determine whether lower rolling resistance tires are effective at increasing fuel efficiency. The test, which used a small fleet of Toyota Prius hybrids outfitted with the Goodyear Integrity all-season radial tires as a baseline, compared its fuel efficiency and traction to other eco-friendly and standard tire models. Each tire was driven over 550 miles of a 6.6-mile loop of expressways, highways and side roads. The Prius outfitted with the baseline tire achieved 51.4 miles per gallon.
    Tire Line Test MPG* % vs. Baseline
    ——— ——– ————–
    Michelin Energy Saver A/S 53.8 +4.74%
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 53.5 +4.12%
    Yokohama dB Super E-Spec 52.8 +2.81%
    Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 51.6 +0.37%
    Goodyear Integrity 51.4 —
    Michelin HydroEdge with Green X 51.1 -0.59%
    Goodyear Assurance ComforTred 50.0 -2.64%
    *Calculated based on GPS distances and ScanGage II recorded consumption
    (offset 6% for Prius Summer E10 regular grade fuel).

2 people like this.