1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Upgrade - Walmart

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ibcs, Nov 14, 2007.

1. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Took about 20-30 minutes of talking to the tire installers. They did not want to put anything on the car except the original tire size. I know that the 185/60-15 is the OEM, but the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred came in the 195/60-15 size only. They called local Toyota dealer and they said it might mess up the hybrid stuff.

Hope I like the new tires.

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, Comfortreds came in the 185/65-R15 size as little as three weeks ago, because I ordered them and installed them on my wife's Prius through Walmart. About a year ago I put the same tires on my other Prius, again through Walmart. But now I see on the Walmart web site that they are only listed under a search for 195/65-R15.

The Goodyear site still lists the Comfortreds in the 185/65-R15 size, but I wonder if they are discontinuing them in that size?

3. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Nov 14 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]539508[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I was going by Walmart's web site and they were not listed. They installed them and the short ride home did not tell me a whole lot about 2 miles. I'm heading to the Michigan / Ohio State game this weekend about 3 1/2 drive, so I'll have a better feeling after that trip. I know the mileage will go down for the short term.

Go Bucks!

4. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just an update - Had a great trip to Michigan. The Comfortreads are much quieter than the stock tires and seem to have a softer ride. Handling in the rain is exceptional.

One thing I did notice is that going over a particular speed bump, going downhill, each day, if I had my foot touching the break the traction control would come on and make the Prius feel squirmy. Since replacing the tires, I can go over the same speed bump with my foot on the brake and the traction system does not active.

First impressions, love the new tires - should have gotten rid of the Integrities when I purchased the car. Mileage dropped 5 MPG for the first tank, but instead of driving my normal 65, I was driving 80-85 on the open highway and the tires are not broken in.

5. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got a new set of tires from WalMart. Basically, these were just the cheapest stuff I could find at around $230 for the set. They were shipped to store and then I let them sit in the basement for a month or so. I also got a new set of tire pressure sensors as I had recently replaced one and then within a couple months, the light came on again as another one failed. I went back to WalMart and they mounted them free (since I had bought them from WalMart) and then charged me $70 out the door for balancing, installing new valve stems/pressure sensors that I got online, setting new TPMS codes, and disposal of old tires. I though that was a pretty good deal and the tires really look pretty good. We'll see how they do.