1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tire Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by triumph1, Nov 18, 2008.

1. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before I go digging around for the warranty booklet, I was wondering if anyone had to use it yet for their Integritys? For some reason, it looks like in the center of the tread, it has a split in it. Went down within 5 mins of the warning light. I can't recall hitting or running over anything. Should I call the dealer first, or Goodyear? Car is 7 months old, 15,700 miles. I take it any refund will be prorated.

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    any authorized good year dealer will work with good year on your behalf

i had some turanzas that got worn down to 4mm and i was denied, because the tire came with the car.

you might not have the same warranty coverage if the tire comes with the car vs if you went and purchased tires. thats how bridgestone was to me.

cross your fingers and hope for the best.

3. Bijan

Bijan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Toyota dealer (Elmhurst Toyota) had told me that I need to replace my tires, after only 32K miles. I took it in to an independent GoodYear dealer. They told me that "there is never a warranty on the original tires"...I don't tend to believe that, but regardless I had them replace the tires and they supposedly did me a favor and gave me $30 a tire refund for my original tires.

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah as far as i know you do not get any tread life warranty if the tire comes with the car. its in writing.

when you buy a new set of tires, try to get ones that have a tread life warranty or uniform wear warranty. and keep proof that you had them rotated

5. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What Rigor said. I've never seen any warranty with tires which come with a new car, either. Among other things, when you buy new tires, you often can add on "road hazard" for a few bucks. For me, definitely worth it, I always get that. I seem to be a magnet for all the loose nuts and bolts on the city buses, and they all end up in MY tires! :rolleyes:

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First, take it to a Goodyear dealer, not a Toyota dealer. The tire warranty is Goodyear's.

Second, the warranty on the OEM Goodyears covers factory defects only -- no tread wear or road hazard coverage. It sounds like you had a sudden air loss/failure. The most common cause of this is a road hazard. Even though you weren't aware of hitting anything, it happens. I used to be in the tire business, and I probably could retire if I had a quarter for every foreign object we found in a tire after the driver said they didn't hit anything. A few likely were trying to pull one over on us, but I generally believed them.

Third, if Goodyear deems it a defect, a replacement will indeed be prorated based on the usable tread depth remaining.

7. jorgeez

jorgeez New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Any updates on this one? Just interested to know if it got covered by the warranty.