1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tired of hearing the Prius is tiny!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Shellie, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Shellie

Shellie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I always hear from people that they would never own a Prius because theyre so small! This is until I let them ride in it of course. I finally have proof now of how roomy the Prius actually is!

My husband and I did our lawn work this weekend, and had to haul 12 LARGE bags of mulch, 28 16" edging bricks in the Prius. I got worried but there were no problems carrying all that, I was impressed!

Attached Files:

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Shellie:

Thanks for that information! I usually only use my minivan for trips like this!

Did you happen to notice if the rear suspension was "bottoming out" when you were driving home? And was the car significantly tilted down in the back? I wouldn't think so, because mulch is usually not very heavy unless it gets water logged.

Best wishes,

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you Shellie.
    I actually was one of those people a few years ago. My wife needed a new car and we figured we would take a Prius for a test drive.
    Wow, was I surprised.
    I have carried 8' 2x4s and 2x6s, an 8 foot lamp and many other items most people would be shocked at.
    Heck, I should start taking bets with non-prius owners as to how much stuff I can fit in the car:)

4. Shellie

Shellie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I noticed the bumps on the road more, and it was tilted down some, but it wasn't too bad. We even went over railroad tracks with no problems! We didn't have too far to drive, maybe a mile and a half.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I just moved a full size dresser in the back and could even close the hatch. Amazing!

6. stevendwatson

stevendwatson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Last fall we had a project using vinyl siding that came in sheets 2 feet wide by 10 feet long. I folded all the seats down including the passenger seat and used a blanket to protect the dash. I'm sure people in the parking lot were amazed when I put a stack of these 2x10 sheets into the car and closed the back! :eek:

7. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Heck, the interior space is one reason I bought the Prius. I wanted something that could make the runs to the Home Depot and also do well on gas for my long commute.

8. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's the beauty of hatchback design....but most people used to think only SUVs can haul stuff.

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Many, many people think of the Prius as a very small car. After all, it is pretty small on the outside!

I thought about comparing the Prius to other cars people think of not as "small" but "nice." The end result was a thread I refer to as my Bread Box thread, named 2010 Prius: Better than Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Acura? Yep! The name was supposed to get attention!

I provided numerical comparisons among these vehicles, looking at spaciousness (or lack thereof), while also noting MPGs. (I don't want to start up any discussions here of how a Mercedes C Class is so much better in terms of seats, handling, or whatever -- the thread contains that!! I just wanted to point out the fact that interior space numbers are listed in that thread.)

There also is Tideland's thread entitled Official Cargo Capacity -- aptly named and addresses size issues in the upcoming 2010.

Info in these two threads may help you when you are talking with friends about your Prius really is quite spacious inside.

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius is the largest car I ever owned.

I always smiled whenever I parked my Geo Metro between two SUVs.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At 175" long, the Prius is similar in exterior size to compact cars like the Corolla and Civic.

It owes its mid-size interior capacity to the hatchback design.

It would hold even more if it were box shaped like a station wagon or, better yet, a mini-van.

Cars have grown in size. It's like an inexorable, unfortunate law of car manufacturing and marketing.

Case in point: At 175" long, which is now considered "compact", the Prius is the exact same length as the original Dodge and Plymouth mini-vans.

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like to say that the Prius violates the laws of physics: it's larger on the inside than it is on the outside.

13. Habeepbeep

Habeepbeep New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used my prius to take all of my stuff (and my roommate's stuff) back home from college. It comfortably fit both of us and all of our stuff (2 girls entire collection of clothes, shoes, etc.... yikes!) I always shock people with that :)

14. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Prius is just one of the samples which defy this law.
    Go look at Honda FIT and Nisssan VERSA too.....

15. gak27

gak27 Prius, Take Two

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When we were shopping for a new car last year, one of the things I used to check interior space was my golf bag (in addition to putting driver's seat all the way back and then sitting behind it). With the cubbies on either side of the cargo area, I can fit my clubs straight across the back of the Prius; try doing that in an Audi A6 (it doesn't work in ours) or other "larger" cars. It's great not having to put the clubs in diagonally...

16. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Shellie,

You might use some old blankets to keep the interior looking fresh and new, that brick up against that fine Japanese plastic makes me worried. I use mine as a 46mpg truck all the time.

17. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Five bales of hay.

(Sorry, I can't remember what that's from.)

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazing! Where did you find a garden shop that sells stuff in such clean packages? :_>

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try searching for a thread responding to Texas Governor Rick Perry's claim something like "you can't throw a bale of hay into a Prius".

20. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Don't obsess about the small size of your Prius. It's how it runs that's important.
    ;-)