1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tirerack Pref. Winter Tire&Wheel Pckg- Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Don-RI, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TireRack.com is offering a "Preferred Winter Tire & Wheel Package" for the 2004 Prius consisting of:

-- Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (Studless Ice & Snow) (4) 185/65-15 $296, and

-- New Steel Wheel (Black Painted) (4) 15X6 $128

... for a Package Total of $424, not including Road Hazard or wheel covers or shipping.

Looking for any thoughts on the need for snow tires for an '04 Prius (I am in Mass.), the specific tire recommendation, the wheel choice, and price/value?

Link is:
    http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterPackage...04&autoModClar=
    ... Then select "view preferred package."

Thanks!

2. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Any thoughts-TireRack Preferred Winter Tire &Wheel P

Its time for snow tire :roll:
    From the package I go with Blizzak.... and Michelin X-Ice is new for this year(I think).
    I always bought Michelin snow tire. But one day I was driving my friend car which equipped with Blizzak. The tire did better job than Michelin...
    If you wanna hubcap just go to place sold used hub cap. And get Corolla hubcap that looks better (I would think)

3. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Why buy snow tires? The OEM's work great. I picked up my 04 Prius in mid November last year. Drove it in snow and on ice without any problems.

Ben

4. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its safety factor,
    All season do some job but it has limitation. Once uses to snow tire you cant go back... to all season tire during snow season

5. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've purchased the blizzaks on steel wheels for our old saab 900 and they were fantastic. I'm probably going to get the same package for my Prius in the next week or so. However, I printed out the tire rack quote, and am going to take it to a couple of places here to see if they'll match the $424 price, as the local sales tax ($28) is cheaper than tirerack's shipping and handling cost ($66, although it came up differently depending on what time of day I tried it!)...

the main advantage not being the saved $38, but the fact that the local place will throw them on for me (probably every spring and fall), saving me that little project. I'll post how it comes out.

rob

6. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Once you drive Blizzaks on ice, you'll be amazed...but consider this...the tires are free...you're really just paying for the wheels, because you're resting your OEM's during the time the winter tires are on (at least 5 months in MN). And, when the OEM's finally do wear out, you can get some performance tires that are better for warm-season use...

rpm

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you decide to buy through TireRack, please support PriusChat by using the following link:

TireRack.com

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How tight is the connection between Bridgestone and Firestone? After the Firestone 500s in the late 70s, then the ATX and Wilderness AT bit recently, I will not purchase anything made by Firestone. I do not trust them to stand behind their products and err on the side of safety when one of their designs or manufacturing is bad.

9. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
  10. pino

pino Junior Member

I just received Hankook W404 winter radials for $48 each
    w/free shipping from Discount Tire Direct.
    I was going to pop for the Michelin x-Ice, but was told
    Hankook was a Michelin-owned company with similar
    technology for less price. We'll see if I regret that decision in the next few months.
    Mounting snows on stock rims with a new set of 16" aftermarket rims shod with a better all season tire for use the other 3/4 of the year.

Best,
    Pino

11. pino

pino Junior Member

Bridgestone is the parent company to Firestone. Firestone was bought out by Bridgestone in the early nineties, I believe.

That F-stone tire fiasco cost Bridgestone plenty of money.

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The people I know that got their Prius last November put Hankook's on it. Dan said he always buys them. I had never heard of them before. He said the car handled the snow really well with them. Of course he had nothing to compare against on the Prius. Having done a little web research, the OEM tire looks kind of marginal in snow.

I liked the Hakkapellita's on my Odyssey, handled dry and snow WAY better than the Cooper's I got originally (there were no Hakkas available in the proper size in '96). I don't know how they compare to the Hankooks or Blizzaks though. And, Tire Rack doesn't sell them. Decisions, decisions.

13. pino

pino Junior Member

Nokians are an excellent tire for sure. The Hakka's have been replaced with the new & improved RS1. Best price I could find is $87 shipped.

Decisions, decisions is right!