1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires - again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by plantz, Aug 10, 2011.

1. plantz

plantz Junior Member

The time has come for me to buy my second set of replacement tires.

I have a 2005. I replaced the OEM tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 at 37,364 miles. I'm now at 91,000 miles and getting close to needing new tires.

The Primacy MXV4s are a bit noisier and harsher than I like, but I realize that their tread is getting thin. I've thought about Michelin Hydoredge, which was the #1 tire in Consumer Reports' latest ratings. But they don't come in 185/65/15.

I've also thought (independently) of switching to 195/60/15. A friend did that (BFGoodrich Premier Touring) and is very happy. Of course, replacing old worn tires with any new tires typically gives better results.

Another friend has Michelin XRadials on his 2002 Honda Civic and is very happy with them. They are definitely wearing less than my MXV4s, although the Civic (a DX model) is much lighter than my Prius.

My number one goal is safety, mostly braking, rainy conditions. (I'm in Northern Calif., so no snow and ice.) I'm a cautious driver, so handling is important only in the sense that it's safer. Next on my list is quiet and comfort. Gas mileage, tread wear, and cost are further down on my list.

I would like to hear comments about my choices, or if I'm missing some other tire I should be looking at.

2. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've had the MXV4 but they seemed to wear out somewhat fast. I just purchased Michelin Harmony. mileage has seemed to drop somewhat 47-48, from 50 or so but the initial tread dept is 11/32 and an 80,000 mile tire.

So it is all a toss up.

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out Good Year Assurance Fuel Max! Great wear rating and can be pressed to 51 lbs. cold, I got great FE from the get go. Very quiet and good control.Great prices on tire rack. Hal

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If gas mileage is not your main concern then you may want to look at the Hankook H727 or the Nokian enTYRE. The Nokian is a LRR tire and should give you all you want in a tire plug good gas mileage but they are harder tol find since they are company based in Finland. They make awesome tires though. The Hankook will likely provide worse gas mileage but they ranked very high in wet and snow.

TheEnergy Saver A/S is a proven performer but is always on back order.

My choice would be the Nokian for your needs.