1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires, an enviable predicament...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by RCE1, Sep 19, 2016.

1. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am trying to figure out a use for the VW good will gesture cards we TDi owners were given. I have two gift cards: $500 to spend anywhere and $500 that has to be spent at a VW dealership. Since I now have a Prius (Touring 4, which I love) , I have little use for VW branded merchandise, but I believe I can order tires through the VW parts network. I have less than 1000 miles on the clock currently and don't hate the tires that are on the car, but I'm thinking ahead.

I have two different tires I'm considering. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus A/S and the Michelin Premier AS are the two I've narrowed it down to. It seems Prii have different requirements for tires than most other vehicles and I was surprised when many top rated tires were panned by Prius drivers, but these two seem to be okay.

I live in the mountains at 3500' elevation and commute to the flatlands with some regularity. We got a pretty good amount of snow last year and although I understand that neither of these tires is a snow tire per se, I was wondering how they would do driving on plowed roads. I will also mention that once we drop about 400' the snow goes away for the most part. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

RCO likes this.
  2. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Well, there's one little problem. Apparently, VW uses 225 45 R17 tires on some of their cars, but not the 215 45 R17 that come with the Touring 4 Prii like I have. The dealer parts guys only have access to certain sizes of tires. Is this a big issue? I guess the tires just under a half inch wider than out recommended size. Bother.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The optional 215/45R17 size is slightly smaller outside diameter than the stock 195/65R15 tire size. Just checked now, 225/45R17 theoretically gets you right back to the stock size. Here's the breakdown:

upload_2016-9-20_13-34-58.png

That said, I would stick with the stock size. For starters there might be wheel well clearance issues, and mpg is going to go down I think. And you're motivation is to take advantage of a freebie, which doesn't seem good enough reason, you have to live with them.